Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos!

Daisymarie18 Guest

Default Re: Photos!

Excellent pictures! Thank you! I'm really liking that mesquite saddle...

crunchysue Guest

Yeah, the Mesquite Saddle is gorgeous. And super easy to scratch. I love it but think it's too light for my living room, which has orange walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisymarie18 View Post
    Excellent pictures! Thank you! I'm really liking that mesquite saddle...

CrunchySue - what'd you decide for your sofa color? I love the Tiburon Butternut! Am debating between a burnished version of Tiburon Butternut and Buckingham Merlot Burnished for the Lakota sofa I'm planning to get.

Of the greens, I like Weston Moss the best. But - it definitely depends on what sofa color you select. Thanks for posting these pics!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on/see a pic comparing those two colors (Tiburon Butternut vs. Buckingham Merlot Burnished) since you have the samples and obviously enjoy orange as I do (noted where you mentioned your room is painted orange). My family room where the Lakota couch is going also is painted an orange-ish shade though lighter color -- "Lighthouse" Benjamin Moore, and I have a large red Afghan rug with orange tones in the pattern. I don't want the couch to fight with the rug, which is why I'm considering the Buck Merlot.
    Last edited by DCGator631; 02-16-2013 at 07:47 PM.

James Guest

Default Re: H&M Leather Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by crunchysue View Post
    Time to resurrect this thread! Here are some comparison pictures of H&M leather samples (I have the full set for one week only). If you'd like to see some different ones, just ask; I'm happy to do it.

Duane posted awhile back about not wanting people to clog up his server with large photos, so I've kept these to 700px wide. On my own server, though, I've put larger ones - 2000px - which give a much better view of the textures, especially if you have a large, high quality monitor.

http://houseofcrunchy.com/ham/leathers.php

Everybody's questions is, Are the colors accurate? I've found that the leather samples are just like paint samples - they look completely different in different lights. So, yes and no, the photos are accurate and also not accurate. So helpful, right? These are about as good as they can be without a professional studio; taken outside on an overcast day (not much sun this time of year in Oregon) with a high end DSLR & lens on a tripod, with a nickel to help the camera focus.

Gaucho Mocha Burnished : Imperial Whiskey Burnished
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeatherComp-GauchoMB-ImperialWB.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	4360

Garfield Fawn : Capri Butternut

Name:	LeatherComp-CapriBN-GarfieldF.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	4357

Equestrian Walnut : Garfield Sable

Name:	LeatherComp-EquestrianW-GarfieldS.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	4358

Buckingham Walnut Burnished : Garfield Chestnut

Name:	LeatherComp-BuckinghamWB-GarfieldC.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	4359
    Thanks for posting the Equestrian Chestnut on your server. I really like the Tiburon Butternut but it is bit fragile. If you can post a picture of Equestrian Claret it would be appreciated.

artielange Guest

Default Re: H&M Leather Comparisons

I have Tiburon Butternut on three stools at a breakfast bar in our home and I would not classify it as fragile at all. It's a beautiful leather with a nice lustre and hand, and I have wished that I had an opportunity to use it in a larger scale.

crunchysue Guest

I haven't decided on how to do the Lynne sofa yet, but I have decided that whatever chair I get will be in Weston Moss. I'll post my thoughts on the ones I like best and ask for help in my other thread about choosing a chair (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...483-Lynne-Sofa) later today or tomorrow.

Hoping for a nice day today to take some more pics for everybody, but if not I'll do it inside. And I'll also post the results of the spill test I did last night.

Tiburon is a great hide, but I think some folks confuse the fact that its a 'pull-up' leather and shows pressure marks (often called 'scratches') and take that to mean its fragile - but its really not.

A 'pull-up' hide is wonderful. It's designed to show 'color bursts' when subject to pressure, and as a result you get wonderful shading on a completed piece that goes high / low naturally. Wherever the leather is pulled tight during the build process it will burst lighter, and stay darker in the slack areas where there is no tension on the hide. A very common comment I hear is "I love the way it looks, but don't like that it scratches", and I explain to them that its pressure making that light mark, not that they have scratched the hide itself. All you have to do to make those marks go away is ball up your fist and rub it vigorously over that 'scratch' and the heat and pressure from your hand will re-flow the waxy surface and make it vanish.

Those of us in the business buy pull-ups for our own homes - a lot. The visual interest is far greater than a boring old painted (Finished, Protected, Pigmented) leather that never changes, and always looks the same. Pull-ups are always changing, and always the sign of a premium, pure-aniline leather. The real beauty of leather shines in a good pull-up and the hide ages wonderfully with use.

I remember when artielange bought her first piece of leather from me several years ago, it was in Document, a painted leather. And while it looked nice, once she got her first premium leathers in the house (Weston, Tiburon) she would NEVER go back to a painted leather again .
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DCGator631 View Post
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on/see a pic comparing those two colors (Tiburon Butternut vs. Buckingham Merlot Burnished)
    Keep in mind the textures on these two hides are entirely different. Tiburion is a waxy pull-up hide with a soft finish, Buckingham is a glazed/burnished leather which will have substantial amounts of hand-shaded high/lows on the pieces and be a stiffer leather as well. When you buy leather, you should not just buy on color along and take into account the textures and hand of the hide, and even the aroma of the leather will vary. Some leathers can smell sweet, others a chemical scent. A few even have a bit of a fishy scent. Use all your senses when buying leather, sight, touch and smell.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, Duane. How do you describe a leather with a creasing effect, like the Rio series leathers -- what I will term "distressed"? Does either Buckingham or Tiburon have this similar distressing? (It doesn't look to me that either have that effect, though hard to tell without seeing a large swatch. I'd like to avoid that look - it also feels a bit dry to me.)

Between Buckingham and Tiburon, which would feel more similar to a Cameo leather? I have seen a cameo luggage burnished sofa and it felt soft, not waxy or stiff.

@Judy, the Tiburon bar stools you have are gorgeous - though I must say, the Weston Sunrise chairs are my favorite.

@crunchysue - looking forward to seeing the spill test results! Haven't seen that on here yet.