Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin High Back Sectional

Jwalker678 Guest

Default Austin High Back Sectional

After considering several H&M sectionals it looks like the Austin high back is the best fit for our room. We have a max of about 132" on one side and 94" on the other. Most H&M sectionals are two piece and as a result too large. With the austin we can do a QR and will be 131" on one side and with just a chair on the other side, will be 80" (Ideally, I would have liked the chair as a recliner/incliner but I didn't see it offered). So, although I wasn't too keen on the bustle look it does meet our first priority of comfort. Thinking we will go with one of the reds maybe an antelope since that has received many positive comments. Won't get much hard wear since it is just the two of us so may consider another leather if it is equal in look, if not as protective, but is a significant cost savings. Any suggestions? Is it recommended to order the ultra core and does that add a lot to the cost?

Default Re: austin high back sectional

I'm going to throw you a curve ball.....

Rather than a sofa/quarter round/chair (which will have a truncated look to it, as if it wasn't quite finished), why not do an Austin High Back Sofa, then the marvelous Austin Tilt Back with Ottoman and forgo the sectional? I think it will look better in your space and allow you more flexibility, plus give you a very comfortable motion piece. You can also push the ottoman over to the sofa on occasion. Definitely lay your room out using the ROOM PLANNER by Icovia (see the Decorating Section to access) and see how the space lays out in the room with the various configurations.

Antelope is a GR 4, so its going to hurt your pocketbook some. Still, its a marvelous leather that all who order seem to like. If working in a budget, some of the newer Grade 2 hides are excellent....Atticus, Lucas, Ryan and Yardley. Check those out.

Ultra Down is personal preference, personally in the Austin series I don't think its needed. On average adds about $ 130 on a sofa.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Maxie-ann Guest

I too like the Austin sofa so far, as the Stickley store I went to did not have much in the showroom of Hancock and Moore I do plan to go again. I wish I could identify the hide I like then take a few samples home. So if you could help me I would appreciate it. The Hancock and Moore site had these really great looking hides in brown tones that I really would love to see. If you could help identify what I was looking at. To give you a few the following sofa's. Campaign, Columns,Evening, and Harbison. Are they the same hide"s??? I will also look at some of the newer hides you suggested. Oh by the way is Fenway still available? I could not find that hide. thanks again
    Last edited by Maxie-ann; 11-16-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: HOW TO IDENTIFY HIDES

Jwalker678 Guest

I get what you are saying, though on the short side there would be room for a table then recliner or tilt chair.
    I think the leather selection may be the most difficult part of the process. I am a little concerned about going with an unprotected leather. And, some of the descriptions i.e. distressed, shows scaring etc. concern me. Your thought on cavalier (oxblood)? The Columbia blackberrybis a possibility.

Best way to look at samples is either go to an H&M dealer and flip through the leathers, or if there are none nearby (or you simply want to stay out of the stores) I can get you free samples (up to a dozen per request), just Private Message me here on the forum with your list, name and address. Go to the H&M website to see the leathers, or browse the 'RESOURCE PHOTOS' under the Leather Category here on the forum to see various hides.

Fenway is gone....

Cavalier Oxblood is a nice, protected leather that has good, rich tones. Its from China, but other than having a little bit of a high sheen to it, pretty much its an OK hide. I'd probably only buy it myself as a Town and Country item with the reduced price points. If buying 'off the rack' there are better Grade 2 leathers for same money than Cavalier Oxblood.

"Unprotected Leathers" covers a lot of ground. There are 'unprotected leathers' and then there are SERIOUSLY unprotected leathers. The former are almost as stain and spill resistant as a finished hide, the latter not so much. Don't exclude them automatically as they are the best looking and best feeling hides in the line.
    Duane Collie

john di Guest

I would recommend getting samples. Duane was kind enough to have samples sent to us two months ago and the whole family touched, scratched, rubbed and looked at these samples nearly every day for 1 month before we made a decision. Our original favorite was Atticus Chestnut but after 1 month of constant handling it looked a little beaten up. The Yardley and Kipling samples looked brand new after the same constant handling. The samples also give you the chance to see the leather in your own home in different lighting conditions.

Jwalker678 Guest

Default Re: Austin High Back Sectional

Have gotten many samples but almost makes it more difficult since the swatches are small and many seem to be only slight variation in shade. Thinking we may do the Austin high back sectional and Austin high tilt back/ottoman. Would like your opinion on color combination. First, would all leather be too much leather? Should we consider doing the chair in fabric? Leaning toward antelope rust or claret for the sectional. What color would compliment this? Something darker like blackberry?

I'd definitely do all leather, the wear rate on a tilt back chair in fabric is too high and you'd be looking at re-upholstery in as little as 5 years in a fabric. And that's costly do to do.

Antelope Rust and Claret are both excellent colors on an exceptional hide. Both will look good. You can do all pieces in one, or mix them up! Decide on one piece first (the Sectional) then once that's locked down, you can work on secondary colors for the tilt back.
    Duane Collie

Jwalker678 Guest

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. All leather it is. Now, leaning towards gr 2 since there evidently is a $2k upcharge for gr 4 antelope on the sectional alone.

Jwalker678 Guest

Had been focused on the reds for the sectional but now thinking may limit the red to the chair/ottoman and do a complimentary color on the sectional. What do you think about Garfield claret on the chair (I guess same for ottoman) and Ryan or Garfield chestnut on sectional?