Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Hi Duane,

We have all of the original paperwork including receipt and fabric swatch from when we originally purchased the sofa. Would you be able to help since we have this documentation?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You can probably call the factory directly.

We no longer order those for clients as there is a very high dissatisfaction rate with the replacement casings, it never works out well and results in upset customers, making it an unpleasant experience for all involved.

In my opinion, it's better to have a leather repair service come to your home and fix the issues. If the piece is beyond that, replace the sofa.

Good luck.

Hi Duane,

We have all of the original paperwork including receipt and fabric swatch from when we originally purchased the sofa. Would you be able to help since we have this documentation?

Thanks!

As in the prior post, we no longer take orders for replacement casings on any item, from any maker, either leather or fabric. They never seem to work out for the customer and it results in issues. A casing is defined as the outer exterior cover of a cushion. Contact the factory direct if you wish to pursue or another dealer may choose to assist.. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

One reason I like to make trips to the factory is because I always come away with a wealth of knowledge, which makes me seem really smart to everyone here <g>. I learn things that are not widely discussed and that the Sales Reps don't often know about.

On my most recent trip last week for example, we discussed cushion cores and I learned they made changes to them I was unaware of - and we dealers were not notified of. For years and years, the standard seat core has been a 16 oz Dupont Qualux and if you asked for Extra Firm, you were moved up to a 21 oz Dupont Qualux. They had so many people wanting extra firm, they decided to make it the new standard and this occurred last year. No wonder I have been liking the standard cushions more and not recommending firmer! So there is no need to specify the Q21 core now, its standard. The upgrade to Extra Firm is now 28 oz. and that is free of charge at time of order, just request it. I would recommend that for heavy people (over 280 lb) but otherwise think the new standard core is pretty great.

Not all cushions are created equal. On frames that have a thick seat cushion - such as the September sofa - the change to extra firm will be much more noticeable than those units with a thinner seat cushion, keep that in mind.

Finally, the new standard for the luxury seat sit is now Spring Down in all these years past it has been Ultra Down. Spring down used to not be very good for leather as the coils were designed for fabric sofas, but this past year the industry has finally developed a Spring Down core that H&M thinks is superior to Ultra Down. Bonus - causes less puddling of the leather as the return is superior to Ultra Down. They are the same price as an upgrade, so you choose (or stay with standard).
    I have a question in regards to the spring down cushions you mentioned above last year. My husband likes the feel of the spring down cushions of the Bradington Young vs. the cushions we tried in High Point on the H & M sofas. Almost all of them on the floor with the exception of one were ultra down and he said that he thought they were not supportive like the spring down cushions on the BY. I am leaning more towards H & M perhaps but I assume the standard cushions are more supportive.

My concern is this, will the spring down cushions of the BY support the cushions as well on a sofa that is made of leather?

The reason you see Ultra Down in H&M floor models is that they give them to the dealer free of charge for floor models only. Dealers have to pay for Spring Down on floor models. Customers always want free, so it makes sense to only floor ultra down. I prefer Spring Down however, so at our store we will spec floor models with it on about 30% of our inventory and it’s reflected in the price.

Spring Down doesn’t care if it’s fabric or leather….
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The reason you see Ultra Down in H&M floor models is that they give them to the dealer free of charge for floor models only. Dealers have to pay for Spring Down on floor models. Customers always want free, so it makes sense to only floor ultra down. I prefer Spring Down however, so at our store we will spec floor models with it on about 30% of our inventory and it’s reflected in the price.

Spring Down doesn’t care if it’s fabric or leather….
    I told my husband that I read that on this forum about the ultra down and that's probably why we saw so many H & M sofas with that on them. I suppose we'll have to go somewhere else to try the standard cushions to get a different feel on them.

Good to know that the spring down pairs with the BY leather in case we go that route.

Something I have learned the hard way is that it's good to pay attention the leather that is on the couch when evaluating the sit of a cushion style.

These are just my preferences so please don't take them as a predictor for your cushion preferences. But for my wife and I, we love the standard seat and back in protected leathers and found the down cushion to be to soft...but then on our burnished piece we love the down cushion!!

Basically when doing your research...it's best to note the leather, cushion type, and model that you actually sat on...sometimes the dealers won't know this or you will have to ask to get it...which is annoying but it helps you be more informed and make a better decision.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
    Something I have learned the hard way is that it's good to pay attention the leather that is on the couch when evaluating the sit of a cushion style.

These are just my preferences so please don't take them as a predictor for your cushion preferences. But for my wife and I, we love the standard seat and back in protected leathers and found the down cushion to be to soft...but then on our burnished piece we love the down cushion!!

Basically when doing your research...it's best to note the leather, cushion type, and model that you actually sat on...sometimes the dealers won't know this or you will have to ask to get it...which is annoying but it helps you be more informed and make a better decision.

Best of luck!
    Great advice; I'm working on that now.

An excellent question.

The standard seat core density on Hancock & Moore is 16 oz Qualux in leather covers. By ordering extra firm it goes to 21 oz. You can even step up beyond that in density if you like, though I don't recommend it as the cushion can get too firm.

Now on the backs of pieces, Fiber Filled is standard on all pieces. When someone wants a somewhat firmer back on a loose cushion we order them 'extra full'. A Qualex core is an optional extra cost feature for back cushions but I don't recommend it. Likely it will be too firm and if you were not happy with it, you would have to buy a set of one of the other cushions i.e., fiber fill, ultra down, etc.
    So do you mean you wouldn't suggest getting standard cushions on the back of a Ricki sofa and Ghent recliner? I only tried one that had a standard back cushion and it was one of those demonstrator sofas that probably had tons of people sit in it over the years. All the rest of them were ultra down.

Cushions are very subjective! It all depends on personal preference. We have had many Ricki sofas come through the store with standard seats and backs and many people find them comfortable.

One thing to ask yourself is if you want to sit "in" or "on" your sofa. If you want to sink into it, we recommend Ultra Down seats & backs. If you want to sit "on" your sofa, we recommend Spring Down or Standard. If you like a firm sit, definitely go with standard.

One additional item to consider is that Ultra Down cores may need more "fluffing" throughout their lifespan if you prefer for your leather to look smoother.