Thread: Upholstered recliner choices

Default Upholstered recliner choices

We are looking for an upholstered recliner for everyday use but we dont want to get into mega bucks. La-z-boy sure doesnt make anything we liked. Duane, I believe you used to sell Flexsteel. Do they make a decent recliner?
    Would like something in the style of the H&M Austin if possible.

Default Re: Upholstered recliner choices

I'd have to preface this by saying I don't like fabric upholstered recliners and sell very, very few of them. The problem is that recliners tend to be high-use pieces, and being a motion piece the fabric is subject to an extraordinary number of friction rubs. End result - average life span of 5 years before it needs a recover. If you spend say $ 700 on a new one, then figure that to recover you need 7 yards material @ $ 45 per yard = $ 315 and labor is typically $ 350 in most areas, that's $ 615 for a recover job (plus tax and delivery charges). Its not cost effective.

Leather is SO much more durable, and will work excellent in high friction uses. Yes, you pay a little more on the front end, but if you keep the hide cleaned it will go 20 years plus. Those Brad Young # 4114 recliners (Vendor Classified) for $ 865 each blow everything else out of the market for a cost/lifespan benefit.

Flexsteel makes an OK unit. If you look closely you'll see very mediocre tailoring on it, but the chassis and mechanism are decent, though not world class. Their Chicago Series sort of looks related to the H&M Austin style and design. If you do decide to stay with fabric, try to at least get a microfiber as they clean up much easier than standard fabrics.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We have the leather Austin and an upholster sofa. Here in NE Ohio the leather is on the cool side and has a throw on it to keep the chill down when first sitting on it. Thats why we are thinking fabric. We had a fabric recliner that was not worn and 30 years old, must of been lucky with that one. Actually sorry I gave it away. Thanks Duane.

Ah! You must be gentle on your recliners then if you can get 30 years out of a fabric one. Carry on!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.