Thread: Leather Buyers focus on Upper Price Points

Default Leather Buyers focus on Upper Price Points

An article in Furniture Today, a trade news magazine, notes that customers are asking for higher quality goods and reliable delivery dates in the leathers industry, with a return to a sophisticated, natural look that focuses on bright colors (even though 80% of all leather sales are done in brown)

I've seen that same trend in my store, with a noted backlash against leather coming from tanneries in China. When new leathers are presented at the furniture market, the trend is most definitely moving to non-Asian leather sources. Customers are realizing they will have to pay more for better product and seem to be willing to do so more than in years past.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Leather Buyers focus on Upper Price Points

I see that same trend with our customers. We have 4 Grades of fabric. The highest grade is always the most in demand followed by the next highest grade. Our lowest grade of fabrics represents less than 10% of our sales, and a good chunk of that is used beneath slipcovers where it won't be seen.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

Default Re: Leather Buyers focus on Upper Price Points

One of the keys to running a good business is to offer choices on the showroom floor. I go into a lot of stores that sell leather and all they have on the floor are the inexpensive promotional covers on furniture. How can the customer have choices when all they are looking at is the entry level grade on things? In my store, you'll always see a spectrum of covers, from high end, to mid-grade, to a few promo leathers. I buck the trend and tend to show LESS of the inexpensive covers because - quite frankly - they look exactly like what they are when shown against the better offerings. There are customers that have to buy in these covers as its all they can comfortably afford....but by far the vast majority of folks can upgrade buy you have to be able to show it to them so they can have a choice.

I know in my own home, the ONLY pieces I don't like are the ones in cheap leathers! Yes, I bought inexpensive leathers for myself when I first was introduced to the leather furniture industry back in the 80's. Still got all the pieces, too. Even the cheap covers don't wear out. After 25 years of selling leather furniture, however - I only buy the good stuff now when I want a new piece for my home - because I know I'll be looking at it for a long time.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.