Thread: Dexter Sofa

shauna Guest

Default Dexter Sofa

Good Morning!

I am a brand new member, but I have been lurking for a couple weeks and trying to get as much information as possible before making my next sofa purchase.

I am lucky enough to live in Raleigh, North Carolina and have access to several different furniture makers and stores. It has been a tad bit overwhelming trying to wade through all the information... but I think I have come up with what I am looking for at the price point I am trying to stay in.

I am interested in getting an opinion on Dexter Furniture if you have one. I have visited their store, looked at and sat in every sofa. They are NC made, 8-way hand tied and offer as many different styles and upholstery options as every other store. Their cushions are poly fill with some down options. They seem to be able to work with me to find the perfect fit, but I have not heard ANYTHING about them.

They have an A+ BBB rating, so that says something right? They have been in business since 1985.

I am still recovering from a horrible experience with a Klaussner sectional that is only 2 years old, so I am being as cautious as possible.

Thank you in advance for any expertise you may offer!

Default Re: Dexter Sofa

I'm not familiar with Dexter at all, maybe someone else can help?

Don't put too much stock in a BBB rating!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The A+ rating basically means that you have a company with few or no complaints that has been in business longer than 10 years. If the same company was in business for less than 3 years it would receive an A- rating.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

samuelsfurn Guest

Never heard of Dexter either. Good luck!

Jacob Samuels
    Samuels Furniture & Interiors

Quote Originally Posted by simplyjeff View Post
    The A+ rating basically means that you have a company with few or no complaints that has been in business longer than 10 years. If the same company was in business for less than 3 years it would receive an A- rating.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas
    My BBB rating for my store is a 'B', because I have a complaint against my store. That's why I don't hold BBB in very high esteem, the rating is automatic (customer is always right, etc).

What happened is two years ago, a Doctor in AZ ordered a H&M sofa and chair from me and asked for a super hot rush on it. He had to have it right away. I made phone calls on a Wednesday and had it all set up for three weeks production. He ordered on a Thursday, with a deposit tendered. H&M jumped right on it and had the frame partially built and the leather cut by the following Tuesday when he demanded to cancel the order. Why the cancel? Four days after ordering he decided the delivery service had to remove the old sofa and take it with them when they delivered the new one. Well, quite simply the delivery companies don't do that - they make a run from North Carolina to the West Coast and have no where to dispose of a sofa in a strange city in AZ and certainly aren't going to drag it back to NC to put it in the dumpster or work around it on the rest of their stops into California and Washington State. It was an unreasonable demand. H&M will not cancel orders once the leather has been cut, so I had to take the pieces for floor stock because of his rush order. In a normal sequence the pieces are not started for at least a week, but this was a RUSH.

I refused to refund his 20 % deposit because of something I can't control (delivery company policy), and he filed a chargeback on his credit card for the deposit and filed a BBB complaint. He claimed I was a dishonest merchant and trying to steal his money. Because I failed to obtain a signature from him on his special order form, he was able to prevail on the chargeback and get his deposit bac, and I got stuck with two pieces of unplanned inventory in addition to $ 70 in chargeback fees.

As you can probably see, I'm no fan of the BBB. It's also people like that who make it harder for regular folk to order their furniture (I now require signatures on all Special Order forms).
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-05-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.