Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat scratch fever on leather recliners

slmccart Guest

Default Cat scratch fever on leather recliners

We have recently adopted two new kitties from our local animal shelter. Unfortunately, the timing wasn't the best as we took delivery on our new H&M leather recliners two weeks prior. We don't believe in declawing, so we are left with the consequences. As vigilant as we are, our two monsters...check that...two kitties have managed to add some character to the leather already. The scratches so far appear to be more surface scratches and don't seem to be too deep. What is the best way to try and minimize the appearance of said scratches? My web research has turned up the obvious so far...find a shoe polish that closely matches the leather color, etc. Anyone know of something better? Your help would be appreciated...maybe a product...say, scratch magic...

Regards, Steve

Default Re: Cat scratch fever on leather recliners

What leather is on your H&M recliners? Scratch repair depends on the leather type.

I don't know if you can train the kitties to leave the recliners alone, but when they get to be a little older, they can rip them to shreds in short order. I've seen customers experience that on two occasions.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

I think your best bet is to train them to stay off the sofa.

http://fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml

In particular:

Scratching

For unwanted scratching, provide an approved scratching post or other item. Issue firm "no!"s on unapproved items. You may wish to spray Bitter Apple or Bitter Orange (available at most pet stores) on items that they are particularly stubborn about. Praise them and give a cat treat when they use the approved scratching material. Demonstrate how to use the post by (yes) going up to it and scratching it like your cat would. They will come over to investigate your scent and then leave their own.
    Pepper (black, white, or cayenne) can be applied to furniture and plants to discourage scratching. This does not deter all cats. You can also cover areas with double-sided tape (sticky on both sides) to discourage unwanted scratching. (Always be sure to provide an alternative scratching item.)

In general, cats will either use a post a lot or never use it. The deciding factor can be the material that the post is made out of. It has to be fairly smooth (cats usually don't like plush carpet) and shouldn't be a material that their nails get stuck in. Once that happens, they may not use the post anymore. Natural fiber rope wrapped tightly around the post appeals to many cats. Some cats like plain wood; a two-by-four made available may work well. Other cats prefer the kind of "scratching posts" that are horizontal rather than verticle.

My imperfect solution to cat claws is to sit down with the cats, one at a time, and have them suffer through a weekly claw trimming. I use an ordinary, sharp nail clipper. I'll grant, not every cat tolerates nail clipping very well and it's best to start them young. I know that some cats will target furniture, even leather furniture, and yes... they can ruin a textile or shred leather in short order when that happens. Our cats are more interested in the carpets and have showed no sign of claw-sharpening on our leather furniture, but they've still inflicted some scratches in their running, jumping and play-fighting. Declawing focuses on front claws; cats can scratch leather furniture with their rear claws when they play, run, or jump.

slmccart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    What leather is on your H&M recliners? Scratch repair depends on the leather type.

I don't know if you can train the kitties to leave the recliners alone, but when they get to be a little older, they can rip them to shreds in short order. I've seen customers experience that on two occasions.
    Duane,

They are Sadler recliners and the leather is Equestrian Walnut, I think.

thx,
    Steve

slmccart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    I think your best bet is to train them to stay off the sofa.

http://fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml

In particular:

Scratching

For unwanted scratching, provide an approved scratching post or other item. Issue firm "no!"s on unapproved items. You may wish to spray Bitter Apple or Bitter Orange (available at most pet stores) on items that they are particularly stubborn about. Praise them and give a cat treat when they use the approved scratching material. Demonstrate how to use the post by (yes) going up to it and scratching it like your cat would. They will come over to investigate your scent and then leave their own.
    Pepper (black, white, or cayenne) can be applied to furniture and plants to discourage scratching. This does not deter all cats. You can also cover areas with double-sided tape (sticky on both sides) to discourage unwanted scratching. (Always be sure to provide an alternative scratching item.)

In general, cats will either use a post a lot or never use it. The deciding factor can be the material that the post is made out of. It has to be fairly smooth (cats usually don't like plush carpet) and shouldn't be a material that their nails get stuck in. Once that happens, they may not use the post anymore. Natural fiber rope wrapped tightly around the post appeals to many cats. Some cats like plain wood; a two-by-four made available may work well. Other cats prefer the kind of "scratching posts" that are horizontal rather than verticle.
    They have a Cat tree with many scratching posts. These scratches came from running and playing and were more inadvertant or accidental. They have shown no interest yet in using them as a scratching post.

slmccart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    My imperfect solution to cat claws is to sit down with the cats, one at a time, and have them suffer through a weekly claw trimming. I use an ordinary, sharp nail clipper. I'll grant, not every cat tolerates nail clipping very well and it's best to start them young. I know that some cats will target furniture, even leather furniture, and yes... they can ruin a textile or shred leather in short order when that happens. Our cats are more interested in the carpets and have showed no sign of claw-sharpening on our leather furniture, but they've still inflicted some scratches in their running, jumping and play-fighting. Declawing focuses on front claws; cats can scratch leather furniture with their rear claws when they play, run, or jump.
    I agree with what you said and I have started trimming their claws with some success. The scratches were accidental running and playing surface scratches and not clear if front or rear claws caused them.

Quote Originally Posted by slmccart View Post
    Duane,

They are Sadler recliners and the leather is Equestrian Walnut, I think.

thx,
    Steve
    Equestrian Walnut is a good hide, very durable and thats pretty easy to fix. Can you take a photo of the scratches? Put a Quarter next to the area in the photo to give the camera something to focus on and that also lets me see the size of the scratch.
    Duane Collie

slmccart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Equestrian Walnut is a good hide, very durable and thats pretty easy to fix. Can you take a photo of the scratches? Put a Quarter next to the area in the photo to give the camera something to focus on and that also lets me see the size of the scratch.
    Duane, here is the best picture I could get. These scratches are about 5 inches long and typical of the ones on the recliners. Will send jpeg via email since I don't see how to attach here.

Got it! That's pretty light. A little # 0000 steel wool carefully used will knock it down, and then some brown shoe polish will work as well as anything.
    Duane Collie