Thread: Ciara and Lennon sofa questions

Default Ciara and Lennon sofa questions

Hi Duane,

Do you have any experience with the Ciara (4694) sofa? The H & M website photo makes the back look like it is seriously "laid back", which might make the sofa sit that way, too. I cannot find any other info on this product.

Is it true that the Lennon (1233) sofa has an inside depth of 20" which is 2" shorter than the Lennon chair (1235)? We sat in the Lennon chair but found it too deep for us, even though we found the styling pleasing.

We are seeking a new H & M sofa that is fairly shallow, but most we have seen are too deep for us. I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'3". We are certain that 22" is too deep.
    We like the City and the Campaign that we have actually had the opportunity to sit in, but are having trouble finding others to try. Bustlebacks are out of the question.

Thanks,
    Bob

Default Re: Ciara and Lennon sofa questions

The # 4694 is the Donovan Sofa, which I think is one of the best they make in that form factor (along with the Cabo). I've not ever sold or tried out a Ciara, nor do I recall sitting on one at Market. Very few H&M products have high-pitch backs, they purposely try to avoid that, but I can't say for sure.

Yes, those are the specs on the Lennon pieces. H&M can adjust dimensions and make them shorter or longer. Sometimes there is a nominal charge to do so, other times not depending on how much variance is needed.

One of the things you want to look at is seat height as well as the depth, Bob. That's as much a function of how the piece sits. Typically for someone 5' 3" we might come up with a sofa modified to 18" seat height and 18" seat depth. But at 5' 9" you might find that too snug. The # 9840 City (not the # 9744) might be just the ticket. Have you tried that one? The # 4701 Member has a lower seat height, that's popular as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane. First, my wife said I'm a poor judge of her height. She said she is 5'5" at a minimum. Maybe 5'6".

Second, we thought that seat height mattered, but was less important than seat depth. We could easily be wrong about this. We were unaware that H&M could adjust dimensions. I can imagine changing the seat height fairly easily by adjusting the feet somehow. Is that the standard approach? However, I have no idea how you could change the seat depth. Can you share some insight here please?

We have tried the 9840 City twice. My wife liked the seat comfort both times. I did not like it the 2nd time, though I did the first time. Perhaps the cushions or leather were much different at the 2nd store? I will try the original one again. But the City has a different problem - the inside width at 63" is too small. We really want something that is ~70"

We tried the 1283 Campaign that I found very comfortable, but that my wife felt did not provide adequate support for her upper back/shoulders. Like the back cushion or frame was not high enough?

We admire the looks of the Donovan, but fear that it might simply be too big, possibly in several dimensions. Other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

We all like to be a little taller than we really are

Yes, H&M can do full customs on most any frame that is stationary (not on motion pieces). If its mild, say and inch or so, they can adjust cushions with thickness. If more than 1", then typically the frame will be cut , but almost never on the feet as that gives it a 'sawed-off' look and one thing they do pay careful attention to is that all customs look right. Frame cuts will result in higher upcharges than cushion mods, as when they do a frame mod they have to refigure all the leather patterns and cushion core sizes.

The # 9840 City is the number 1 selling sofa in the H&M line, but I'm with you - I don't find it to my own personal liking. Its OK, but there are so many more that are better for what I happen to like. You can also go to the 9844 CIty which is larger in all dimensions.

I really like the Donovan and Cabo. I find them to be smart looking, and sit very well. I must order another for my floor stock, I've not had one on the floor in some time.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,

Is it easier/cheaper to decrease the inside seat depth by 1" (say from 22" to 21"), than to decrease the seat height by 1" (say from 21.5" to 20.5")?

I can envision making cushions fuller than standard, but find it difficult to imagine cushions being "less full" than standard. What is the most likely method to reduce the seat height? Can changing the style of the feet do this?

Can an ultra down cushion be made fuller? How? Do cushions that have been made fuller look okay, or are they so stuffed as to lose attractiveness? Do you have any photos you can share?

We are narrowing down our list of sofa possibilities. Your answers to these questions will help.

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

It depends on the model, but in most cases it about the same to go plus or minus an inch on either seat back or seat cushion.

H&M owns their own frame plant (unlike a lot of makers) so they can modify almost any piece to spec. The advantage of doing a cushion mod vs a frame mod is cost, obviously. if you can get the mod accomplished with a core adjustment, its far less expensive than cutting a frame. Sometimes they can swap out legs but that's not usually done because it alters the appearance too much. You can only get 1/4" to 1/2" out of a leg before the sight lines are affected, and H&M won't do anything that makes it look hacked. As Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore like to tell me: "Challenge us...tells us what you want and we'll figure out the best way to do it."

Yes, you can make any cushion core fuller. Its merely additional outer wrap to do so. All cushion cores are custom-ordered and custom made so its relatively easy to do. More fullness WILL give you a higher crown on a cushion, however. You won't really see it visually, so I don't have any photos of one vs a standard core.
    Duane Collie