Thread: Firm cushions getting weak in a loveseat

drjjpdc Guest

Default Firm cushions getting weak in a loveseat

Hello, my wife likes to lay lengthwise on our loveseat with her butt between the 2 cushions. Naturally after about 3 years the inside edges of the cushions are getting soft. She is by no means heavy (5'8" and about 140 lbs).

I can hear the suggestions, have her use the sofa, buy a recliner... But we have limited space and this is not a cheap set we could replace. And she likes to lay down and it will probably be impossible for her to change (we have been married 33 years).

Besides replacing the foam with extra firm or the hardest stuff, can I add some foam that would straddle the inner edges? I know I am asking for a solution to a problem that should not be but you have to deal the hand you are dealt. Any suggestions at all for the love seat short of moving her to the sofa, where her butt would be in the middle of the second cushion (sofa has 3 cushions)?

Default Re: Firm cushions getting weak in a loveseat

Some of that is due to the spring grid underneath the cushions and some of it is the cushion core itself. What is the brand of the loveseat? Do you know the springing system under the deck? Whats the interior length of the piece? Fabric or Leather? Can you post a photo of your existing piece? Does it need recovering or just more support?

The solution to the issue is to replace the cushions with a single core unit and cushion, but this will mean new material for a cover, the making of a new core and require a bit of capital investment though you certainly don't have to remake the entire piece. Very much like you see on this piece, she will no longer sink into the gap in the cushions:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1345

Option 2 is to contact the original maker if you know your model number (go through a dealer) and get high density, 'extra firm' cushion core inserts that will zip in and out of the seat casings.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

drjjpdc Guest

Here is the web link.

http://www.templefurniture.com/item.asp?ID=1790

It is a Temple 9500-90 sofa and a 9501-66 loveseat. According to their website thay have most of the goodies we want in fine furniture, made in the USA, 8-way hand tied coils, etc. This is a picture of the sofa, could not find a picture of loveseat, although some dimensions are there. It is fabric and I just need more support.

Temple tends to make slightly soft cushion cores, at least that was my experience when I used to sell the brand. But its a decent product, and they have good customer service. Give the selling dealer a call and ask him to help you source firmer cushions for the model. He will call Temple and make it happen. In the event your selling dealer is not around, then call Temple directly. This should be a relatively easy fix.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

drjjpdc Guest

Thanks for your help. Have a good weekend.