Thread: Layout Ideas

Matthew Guest

Default Layout Ideas

I recently moved into a new house and I'm looking to update my living room and I've noticed some good ideas from others here so I figured I'd try my luck. The room is more or less a blank canvas, though there is media console and TV to the right of the fireplace that probably won't be replaced for the time being (eventually I'd like to mount a flatscreen to free up some room, but likely isn't in the budget right now). I've also got an 8x11 rug in the room.

I'm having a hard time coming up with creative layouts since the floor plan is open into both the kitchen and dining room and I'm worried about making it feel too closed off.

I've attached a basic floor plan and also some photos of the room (sans furniture).

Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_1254508168039_12255_8.JPEG 
Views:	424 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	2079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_1254508172000_12255_9.JPEG 
Views:	442 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	2080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_1254508142091_12255_2.JPEG 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	2081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livingroom.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	2082

Default Re: Layout Ideas

You have the perfect room for one of these:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Kipling-Cognac
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Matthew Guest

Thanks Duane. I had someone else recommend a sectional to me as well but I had trouble visualizing the placement of one in the room. I'm assuming you'd suggest placing in similar to the pictures with the center seam facing the fireplace?

Also, are depth of sectionals measured differently than sofas? The Sundance sofa has a inside depth of 24" with is good (I'm 6'3" and generally like sofas in the 24-26" range). The sectional on the H&M site lists the inside depth at 19.5". Am I missing something on the measurements?
    Last edited by Matthew; 01-26-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Best thing to do Matthew is go over into the DECORATING AND LAYOUT section here on the forum, and use the Icovia Room Planner to see how pieces would fit in the room. Its free of charge, and if you save the plan with a unique name I'll be glad to look it over for you.

Sectionals are measured same as sofas, but what you don't see on that particular one is that it curves out to the arm on each segment, so that smallest measurement is taken at the most narrow part. As it gets to the outer arms it gets deeper. The Sundance is a large piece, and with your 6' 3" frame I think you'd find it works well.

Its also the only sectional I know of that looks as good from the back as it does from the front, and in your room that's important because of the way you come into the room. You want the back to look good, rather than a series of plain vertically seamed back panels. If I had a home like yours to do furniture placement, the sectional would be my only choice. Others here may have some other recommendations, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Monique Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I recently moved into a new house and I'm looking to update my living room and I've noticed some good ideas from others here so I figured I'd try my luck. The room is more or less a blank canvas, though there is media console and TV to the right of the fireplace that probably won't be replaced for the time being (eventually I'd like to mount a flatscreen to free up some room, but likely isn't in the budget right now). I've also got an 8x11 rug in the room.

I'm having a hard time coming up with creative layouts since the floor plan is open into both the kitchen and dining room and I'm worried about making it feel too closed off.

I've attached a basic floor plan and also some photos of the room (sans furniture).

Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_1254508168039_12255_8.JPEG 
Views:	424 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	2079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_1254508172000_12255_9.JPEG 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	2080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_1254508142091_12255_2.JPEG 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	2081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livingroom.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	2082
    Matthew,
    I saw your post last week and since my living area is almost identical to yours, I decided to reply. This is how we laid out our living area and to me it is absolutely perfect. We love it.
    Underneath the "window" opening from the kitchen, we have a 1760 family piece, a heart pine hunt board. Beside the hunt board, we have two side chairs which also pull up for extra seating in the living area and in our dining room. About 4 feet away from the huntboard ann parallel to it sits our American Leather sofa. On one end of the sofa sits an handcrafted round table and on the other end of the sofa sits an Adirondack handcrafted table. If you are looking straight ahead from the sofa, there is a wall unit which is to the right of the fireplace. The wall unit holds our plasma TV and sound system as well as a place to display our Catawba Indian pottery collection. To the right of the wall unit is a small hand crafted hearth chair. On the left side of the sofa is a Eames chair and ottoman. On the right side of the sofa is a handmade mountain rocker. A cut down round oak pedestal table sits in front of the sofa and serves as the coffee table, ottoman, etc. We hung two paintings over the mantel. I have four antique art deco lamps in the room. Two of the lamps match and sit on each end of the mantel and the other two are floor lamps which stand on each end of the sofa. The whole area is anchored by a 9 x 12 Oriental design rug. We use only wooded 2 inch blinds on our windows.
    Hope this helps get you started.