Thread: Need Help for New Apt in NY

nymjfurniture Guest

Default Need Help for New Apt in NY

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and have already learned a great deal by searching and have had a lot of my questions answered already. I am looking to furnish my new apt in NY with some modern/contemporary type pieces. I actually really loved the look of the Restoration Hardware "Lancaster" Sofa, but it's simply too deep for my apartment and after sitting in it, I realized it's too deep to be comfortable. I'm six feet tall and on the lighter side at 160 pounds. I know the "comfortable" is a very subjective term, but I was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the direction of what's out there amongst the top, quality brands. I've been trying to look at the H&M website but it's really tough with their layout and just one pic for each piece. Also, I have an affinity for the darker brown leathers, maybe with a reddish hue. This leads me to almost ignore the pieces on the website that are shown in fabrics or white/cream/etc leathers even though I know I should e assessing the style of the furniture since the leather is an option. There's just so many that I don't know where to start! I'm trying to stay in the 2-3k range. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Need Help for New Apt in NY

Welcome to the forum!

First things first....NYC is the # 1 source of tight entry ways into apartment buildings, so you really need to start with egress issues. How wide is the door to your apartment? Also the street or freight doors ? Plus my personal favorite - THE ELEVATOR. Not only is width an issue on the elevator door, but height and depth. There is nothing worse than having a brand new sofa sitting out on the sidewalk because it won't fit in the building. Let's see what you have for egress dimensions before we get into styles and such. One of our forum members - Jeff at Simplicity Sofas, designs and builds all theirs to ship in pieces and you assemble it in your apartment once you get all the pieces in.

I'm also done some custom take-aparts with Hancock and Moore such as this one, she had very tight doorways into her apartment:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...n-Weston-Ebony
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

nymjfurniture Guest

Duane, thanks for the expedient reply! I saw another post previously about drsofa and 211 emergency, and all I could think is that I would hate to have to take apart my brand new high end furniture! I just ran down and measure the doorway at 35 inches i suppose is the biggest limiting factor, the elevevator doors were just about 36 and the building doors are double wide, so that shouldnt be a problem...

Sounds like you are pretty much good to go. Check the interior height of the elevator, however. Something like that Restoration Lancaster sofa is 95" long, which means with angling it in and standing upright, the elevator needs a ceiling height of at least 8 1/2' to 9' or its not going in.

There are a lot of sofas in that same general form as the Resto Hardwre piece. Take a look at the H&M Member series as well as the Kodiak. Those should fit you well and won't be as deep or as long as that Lancaster piece. Also check out the Leathercraft 2670 sofa, one of my all-time favorites in a not-too-large size (I have one in my family room at home).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.