Thread: Knuckleheads

Angry Knuckleheads

I suppose one benefit from ordering from someone like myself is that I've delivered so much furniture personally in the past 25 years (physically grunting it into the home) that I know what fits and what doesn't. Guess this falls under the Customer Service category.

Today's Delivery story:

I was unloading furniture from our truck that got in from Boston last night and was bringing new items into the store when the phone was rang just after 9:30 am. It was one of our forum members in upstate New York who was just getting their Hancock and Moore sofa and Sun Delivery was at their door.

The husband was clearly upset and said to me " The delivery guys say it won't fit in the house, it can't go through the door!?"

I pulled their ticket and saw that item in question was a # 9034-30 Austin Full Recliner Sofa. I asked what the doorway egress was and was told 35 1/4". I pulled that sofa up on the website on my computer and said: "If you have a straight shot into the house, that will easily go through a 35" doorway threshold".

My customer said "They said it won't because they measured it and its 39" high in the back - won't fit. I have to sign a waiver to release them from all damages if they try and I don't want them to tear up our new furniture. What do we do now?"

I asked: "Have they tried to fit it? Where is the sofa now?"

"Its in the truck, they haven't even un-packed it."

"How do they know it won't fit unless they try?" I ask.

"They won't try unless I sign the waiver for damage release." I was told.

"Please put the Sun Delivery driver on the phone" I requested.

I was furious. I'm afraid I was not very nice to the Sun Delivery guy on the phone and I asked him if he had ANY experience moving furniture or was he and his com padre in the truck fresh off the street? Even my college part-time delivery guys I use know that you have to turn the sofa at a 45 degree angle to get it in and I can move that unit through a 33" doorway all day long. The 39" height doesn't matter - its the DEPTH of the sofa and the legs.

I told the Sun Delivery guy: "Look that sofa will go in there if you get off your butts and get it out of the truck, and my customer is NOT signing any damage waiver form and you need to stop agitating them and go to work. I ship a lot of furniture with your company and if I have to get on the phone with Aimee, your VP of Operations, to get this cleared up, I shall. Is that what you want me to do? Get the sofa unwrapped and put it into the house, if it won't go - and it will - call me back and I will tell you how to remove the front legs."

15 minutes later, my customer calls back - its all good and went in with inches to spare, just like I knew it would. ARGH!! How aggravating. I'm just glad I was at the store during normal work hours to straighten out that delivery team otherwise that order would have come back to North Carolina. I seriously doubt anyone at 1-800-Buy-Discount would have laid into those Sun guys like I did or knows what fits.

Sun Delivery is still my best and most consistent delivery service (and the most expensive) and this was an isolated incident, but you can make all the good plans in the world and at then end of the day its about the two guys on that particular truck on a given day.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Maxie-ann Guest

Default Re: Knuckleheads

Hi Duane,
    First I want thank Duane again and again for all his help from begining to end. Begining in the fall answering my questions,sending samples, suggestions etc. To the end when our "Austin Sofa Recliner,Austin Tilt back chair and ottoman were delivered. As Duane stated we called him upset (not with him) as the deliverey men told us no way would our sofa fit in our door! I was beside myself what to do, it was cold, windy, snow blowing outside so hubby said we can't take the door frame out, so we called Duane at the Keeping Room, who spoke to the delivery people. So they decided to give it a try and believe me had no problem getting the sofa in the door, and they were truly surprised when it went thru. Wow was that a relief!

Now back to my sofa, we had ordered the Austin Full Recliner Sofa in the "Columbia Molasses" hide and for the tilt back chair and ottoman "Columbia Blackcherry". Words cannot describe how rich and beautiful this sofa is. Its as comfortable as people on this forum said, I am so happy that we decide on the "Austin sofa and chair. I want to thank Duane again for helping me as I never thought Hancock & Moore could be afordable for me, but going with the Class I in the Columbia it was, and believe me it looks unbelieveable. My family love the color and told me how rich looking it is. As soon as I can get some pictures I will try to send them. Thanks again Duane it was truly great doing business with you and hope to do more in the future.

PS. The Sun Delivery men were very polite, considerate and careful when carrying the furniture in. They cleaned up after and made sure we were satisfied. So overall we were pleased with them.

Maxie-ann

Default Re: Knuckleheads

Hi Maxie-Ann,

Thank you for the kind words AND your business! Support through purchases by forum members is what keeps my little business going.

I was probably a little harsh with the Sun Delivery Team on the phone, but I don't tolerate laziness very well! The fact they said it wouldn't fit without even taking it off the truck didn't sit well with me and that coupled with them asking you to sign a damage waiver really put me over the top. They were obviously an inexperienced team, but the fact that they were polite and careful goes a long way so I didn't file a complaint with their superiors at Sun. Next time they'll know to try first instead of relying on tape measures and hopefully lesson learned!

I'm thrilled to hear that your Hancock and Moore pieces met or exceeded your expectations. They will give you many years of good service and you may find yourself in the growing ranks of customers who only want that brand for future purchases. They build a superior product, take care of problems should any arise, and I think very much worth the incremental cost over similar product.

The current H&M ad campaign is "As Individial as You Are" which of course emphasizes the various styles available and custom work. I called the execs last week and suggested this one for when the current one has run its course, because I believe it true:

"Compromise Elsewhere".

They said they liked it, we'll see if it shows up next fall <g>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.