Thread: Somerset 1345 (HM)...will it fit?

Lefty Guest

Default Somerset 1345 (HM)...will it fit?

Duane,
    I have attached a diagram of my hallway entrance. I have tried for 10 days to get the CS people at HM to answer my question...will the 1345 sofa fit through this hallway? The traffic flows through a 3'0" doorway into the 48" section of hallway into the offset shown, the diagonal wall in the offset is 31" long and ends at the doorway to a bedroom. The hallway becomes 36" wide where the offset straightens out...your thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	2119  

Default Re: Somerset 1345 (HM)...will it fit?

If you have clear 8' ceilings or better in that transition area (no light fixtures in the way) I could get that through that hallway with my delivery team with 95 % certainty. The sofa is not going through there in a conventional horizontal sense. What I would do:

1) Remove all cushions
    2) Place furniture pads on the floor in the area
    3) Wrap one end of the sofa with foam or bubble wrap or a lightweight pad and affix to protect carvings and exposed wood
    4) Stand sofa vertically, with the seating area to the 90 degree portion of the egress. Sofa is less than 7' in length.
    5) "walk" the sofa around the corner on its end.
    6) Transition back to a horizontal mode for the rest of the move once in the 48" area.

I've been moving furniture for over 25 years. Some delivery teams do not have the experience that I have and may say it will not fit, or demand you sign off a damage waiver before they attempt. I'd not hesitate to try it in the least as long as I have 8' to work with on ceiling height.

Tip: Don't call Hancock and Moore with questions. Work with a dealer of some kind. We have the experience to answer the questions usually better than the customer service staff at H&M. They're good at telling us what leather is in stock, and what an upcharge might be for custom work, but when it comes to things like this and colors, hand of leathers, what works best in an application, a dealer that knows his stuff is your best resource.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Lefty Guest

Duane,

Since you have so far been the only person willing to answer my question, would you be willing to give me a quote on the HM 1344 and 1345 Somerset Sofa & LS? I think I have selected the Capri Tobacco leather...they are supposed to be sending me a larger sample this week...

Sure, check your PM's, quote will be there. For a shipping/delivery estimate, you will need to reply to my PM with City/State/Zip
    Duane Collie

Lefty Guest

Thanks for the quote but I guess it's now official...HM C/S finally emailed me this morning and said that the 1344 and 1345 would NOT fit through my hallway. So, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me! The Somerset was the only frame in HM that I liked...can you suggest a few more top line manufacturers that I should explore? I was on the verge of a BY until I heard about the quality not being what it used to be...BTW, I live in VA!

Customer Service at H&M moves exactly zero pieces per year into homes, whereas we do about about 250 a year at my store
    Duane Collie

Lefty Guest

Does that mean that if it won't fit through the hallway I don't have to pay for it? The smallest dimension on the sofa is 37" and the hallway (at the most narrow point) is 36". H&M said they taped a template on the floor and used a frame to see if it would fit...if you are sure you can make it happen then send me a quote for the shipping; I'm in Roanoke, zip 24011...

You left that template part out, Lefty....

If you were local to my store, I'd agree to it. But Roanoke is 4 hours away, and that's a day in a truck round-trip. As you can imagine, that has the potential to be several hundred dollars loss in the deal for me it they don't go in as I'm sure you don't want to pay for the round trip if they don't fit. I would want to do this one personally, with my "A" team guys. I'm still confident I could get them through that corridor if you have the vertical clearance.
    Duane Collie

Lefty Guest

I didn't leave it out on purpose; that template info came with the C/S response that the sofa would not fit (in the opinion of H&M)...And you are right...I would not want you to take that kind of risk on my behalf...especially if I hand pick a leather that you might not think you could sell off your floor inventory if it didn't work...this has really become a PITA! But thanks for your counsel and advice...people like you give businessmen a better reputation than most of them deserve!

If you REALLY have your heart set on that Somerset series, we could make it with a detachable base (custom charges would apply). We did that for a customer who ordered an Ellie sofa, they did a fantastic job at H&M on that. We got it right in a very narrow apartment doorway....

Photos here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...highlight=elle
    Duane Collie