Thread: Confused about chairs, recliners, and loungers

schoonerhyy Guest

Default Confused about chairs, recliners, and loungers

I am trying to purchase some recliner for my living room and get so confused after looking at the H&M website. I see some are called recliner, but there are many chairs and loungers are also able to recline. So what is exactly the difference between a "recliner" and a chair that reclines? Also is there any easy way to find out whether a chair reclines or not? Currently I need to go to the H&M website and read the detailed description on by one, that is quite tough.

Default Re: confused about chairs, recliners, and loungers

These are the various chair types in the marketplace:

* Stationary or Still: A non-motion chair

* Tilt Back or Press Back or Ease Back: A chair with a stationary base and a movable back that allows the back to recline to a near horizontal position. Movement is controlled by a pressurized gas strut on manual models and an electric motor on power models. Activation levers are between the cushion and arm, or out the outside of the right arm. Must be used with an ottoman by design.

* Conventional Recliner: A chair built around a reclining mechanism that is operated by an external lever (manual) or electric motor (power). The base of the chair does not move. Typically the back will extend 17" - 20" towards the wall from the upright position when full horizontal.

* Lounger: Same as the Conventional Recliner except you push back on the arms to operate (manual).

* Wall Hugger Recliners: Either a Conventional or Lounger Recliner that 'slips forward' when the recliner mechanism is activated to minimize the distance from the wall to 8" or so. Because the mechanism to do this is low in the frame, these kind of chairs will always go virtually to the floor on the skirts and are often mounted on a swivel or rocker/glider base. Both manual and power options are available.

* Swivel and/or Glider/Rockers. A non-reclining chair that has a combination of those movement capabilities.

On the H&M website, they are grouped by series under the PRODUCT header. All motion furniture is in a one-click category, all swivel gliders in another, all stationary by itself, etc. If you are tabbing through the entire line then you will have to stop and read each description.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.