Thread: H & M Class 2 Leather Question

SofaInSF Guest

Default H & M Class 2 Leather Question

So glad I found this wonderful forum. Great info here.

I am probably buying the first and last sofa/loveseat of my adult life. My previous sofas were hand-me-downs from my husband's bachelor days. After the epic sofa search, I think we have settled for the H & M City Sofa #9844 and #9843 loveseat. I hope this sofa will last for many years.

Now for the leather decision. Note: We have two young children and this will be our only sofa for sitting, reading, TV, snuggling, etc.

We are looking at Class 2 leathers in a tan/beige/oatmeal color family.

Is Class 1 less durable? Truthfully, we are stretching our budget with a H & M leather, but we want a quality sofa that will last. Class 1 leather would bring the price down to just about the upper end of our budget--I hope.

Does anyone have any recommendations...or experience with the Caress Class 2? I recently read a thread where the Document Class 2 was not recommended.

Thanks!

Matthew Guest

Default Re: H & M Class 2 Leather Question

The Columbia leathers generally seem to get solid reviews here for a GR1 leather. Might take a look at that if you're looking to drop the price a little.

Grades are price grades ONLY - they are not necessarily indicative of quality or durability, they represent what the maker has to pay for the hide.

Caress is very soft, very supple leather that comes out of China. Note that is has no high/low shadows and is monochromatic - or all one shade through the hide. For leathers I recommend:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...r-Descriptions
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

SofaInSF Guest

How accurate would you say that the leather coloring/shading on the H & M website is compared to your dealer swatches?

Thanks!

Not very! Even actual swatches are not always accurate to the leather which is ultimately used on the furniture. I don't even recommend ordering covers based on web photos alone, its always a good idea to request swatches (they're free) and if you're really color sensitive then a CFA (Cutting For Approval) after you place your order and then you will see the actual leather to be used in your piece. Note that CFA's will always slow order production time down by appx. 4 weeks.
    Duane Collie

SofaInSF Guest

Wow...CFA...great info.

Would you say that the website tends to show the colors darker or lighter? Or can it go both ways? I've already requested some swatches, but maybe some colors I ruled out may work after all!

The on-line photos should be used (in my opinion) only to order swatches from and will vary from actual samples. Buying leather is more than just color, you should be looking at all these facets when making a decision and for that you need a piece of the leather:

* Color (what most people base buying decisions upon)

* Texture - is it soft and supple, or pebbly, or spongy?

* Topcoat - might be slick and glossy, or is it more matte finished, or even waxy?

* Aroma - European hides smell the best - very sweet, South American ones can have an oily odor. Put your nose it in and take a sniff, you WILL smell that in the room.

* Scratchy or smooth? Some leathers go for the 'bomber jacket, well-worn' look. Others remain smooth and consistent.

* Pull-Up or not? A Pull up leather will show a burst of color when its pulled tight (lighter in the pulled area). Some folks love the look, others not so much

* Shading or Special Effects. Do you like high/low contrast tones or more monochromatic?

All those factors come into play. So use the pictures to whittle down your sample selection to 10 or 12, then get those and note all the above, and also take them to the kitchen and spill things on them to see what soaks in and what doesn't.
    Duane Collie

I would like to add the fact that online colors totally depend on your color monitor and how well it reproduces images.