Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sofa for someone aging? comfortable sofa bed?

Monique Guest

Wink Sofa for someone aging? comfortable sofa bed?

My husband and I are looking for a new sofa. Our current one has a seat height of 18 inches. When we were younger, it was comfy enough but now as we're getting older, the seats are too soft, the sofa is too deep, and it is getting harder to get up from the sofa.

We want leather and if possible, it would be great if it was a sofa bed for guests. We're moving into a retirement community in a few years.

Our tastes tend to modern, hence our current low slung sofa. The sofa will be in the room with an Eames Chair and ottoman along with a wooden rocker.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Sofa for someone aging? comfortable sofa bed?

You'll never get the most comfortable sofa when you do a sofa/ bed (sleep sofa) - from any maker. Why? You're giving up the spring deck and sitting on a cushions over a folded-up bed. I sell very few high-end sofa-beds because of that very reason. Unless you're using it frequently, a couple times a week - I'd skip it in favor of a regular sofa.

Look for a sofa that is made with a good, firm webbing on the base. That really helps in getting out of sofa. Inexpensive pieces tend to have a poor web base, and on good premium sofas its as tight as a drum. After that. consider a sofa where can change the cushion cores to +1 Firmness, that will help getting in and out as well at the expense of plushness.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Monique Guest

I looked at the Restoration sofa you showed from Hancock and Moore. Haven't checked the dimensions yet to see if it might work for us. I agree we need firmer cushions and arms, a good height for holding on to get up. I think I want a fixed back this time too.
    We still want a full size sofa even though we'll be downsizing. We have a little grandson who likes to sit with us and a pet too.

I have found that a 20" seat height is helpful for older folks. Duane, can H&M or one of your other lines modify a sofa to have a 20" seat height?

I have also seen sofas with spring-loaded mechanisms that push upwards to help the sitter out of the sofa. These may be available only at dealers who specialize in health care accessories.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

The H&M Restoration sits well. I don't find it has a particularly high sink rate and is better than most to rise out of.

Agreed on the higher seat heights, Jeff. Most the H&M's are right at 20" seat height but frames can be modified as needed. Extra firm cores decrease the sink in the seats as well, but one has to be careful to not get them too firm or its like sitting on a woodern park bench.
    Duane Collie

Monique Guest

Thank you both for your replies. I definitely want comfort as well as being able to get up from the sofa easily too. As for asthetics which are important to me, the Leathercraft 925 looks good and H & M's Restoration. I was happy to see the Restoration on this site. When I checked H & M's site and searched sofas, that one did not come up. I went back to their site after seeing it first here.

I am 5' 5" and my husband is 5' 9", so a higher seat height probably won't be as comfortable for just sitting but we usu. prop up our feet on the coffee table or a foot stool anyway when we're seated.

Of the two companies, which would be the best?

What grade of leather should we get? We have a miniature poodle who will share the sofa with us. We've always had leather bec. I have dust mite issues and the leathers have always held up better than fabric with pets. I would never consider fabric ever again.

I'm full of questions, I know, but I am anxious to get this problem solved. I know we'll need to hit the road next and find these sofas and have a sit down.

Many thanks! This is a wonderful forum with great advice.

The 925 Leathercraft is a bit high and too deep at 23", possibly take a look at their # 2670 model, that's the # 1 seller in the line and I have that in my family room at my home. Its not as large and my wife loves it (she is 5' 6") and I'm comfortable in it at 5' 11". We've had it five years now and one of the things I really do like about it is that its not a mushy sofa.

The H&M Restoration is an equally good pick. They're both top flight sofas, built to the best standards and will price out about the same as well. Use $ 3K as an average number but they could go higher/lower based on the cover.

The leather will all be durable, so it comes down to the look, feel, texture, and color of a particular hide - coupled with budget on where you want the sofa to finish out price-wise. I usually (for myself) select GR 2 and GR 3 leathers, as it hits a nice balance between luxury and price.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

Monique Guest

Thanks for the advice. That gives me two very good options. I've been to Leathercraft before and saw what a great job they do there. I'm not as familiar with H & M. The lines on the H&M sofa suit our decor better. The Leathercraft may work too except I can't see the nail heads on a sofa with the rest of our decor. It is a strong recommendation for that sofa since you have it in your own home. I wonder if they can make it without the nail heads or if that would ruin the look of the sofa?

Yes, you can get any piece from Leathercraft with a nail delete, also from H&M. Leathercraft may charge to do a nail delete, H&M does not.

Leathercraft is a much smaller company than Hancock & Moore, but both build top-quality product.
    Duane Collie

Monique Guest

Question Re: Sofa for someone aging? comfortable sofa bed?

My husband and I made a quick trip up to Conover yesterday to the Leathercraft showroom. I had hoped to see a 2670 sofa to have a sit down. They did not have one.

Instead my husband fell in love with another sofa (2980) AND chair. The seat was their standard seat cushion which felt firm enough new. (I still wonder if we should upgrade to 1 X firmness.) The sofa was 23 inches deep which was too deep for me.

We came home with no decision made.

I did a search for Leathercraft on this site and looked at every Leathercraft sofa. The 1960 was appealing. When I checked the measurements, I realized it was 23 inches deep as well, too deep for me.

I started looking at the Leathercraft web-site and saw the 902 sofa which is similar to the 1960.

The measurements of the 902 are similar to the 2670 which Duane recommended we consider. Since my husband now wants to get a chair and a sofa, the Eames chair is out of the picture in this room. It is going upstairs to its new home by my piano. This actually makes the sofa style selection easier.

Is anyone familiar with the 902 sofa and the 902-02 chair and ottoman? I like the 902 better than the 2670 because it would not take up as much visual space because it sits up on legs. I also like the piping around the back cushions. It looks more structured which suits me. The design will work in our room without the Eames chair.

The 902 would work well too when we move to the active retirement apt. in a few years.

Now, I need to find one to have a sit down! Any input on the 902?

This is a wonderful site. It is nice to have listening ears to help in the decision process. These are real dollars we're spending and I want to make the best possible decision.

Thank you!