Thread: Bernhardt vs Hancock & Moore

BostonEd Guest

Default Bernhardt vs Hancock & Moore

Hey folks,

I have been sofa hunting and came across a Bernhardt sofa Savannah Collection ($1,595) at a local furniture store. The sofa is attractive and comfortable and comes in a 95 w which is great for naps! The living room it will be in is more formal/casual and not used too often.

However, after reading a few threads here, it seems H&M seems to be more of a quality product. After reviewing their site I found the Robinson sofa (4232). Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd be able to find it locally and see it in person. Duane, would you happen to know the price on this one? Also, do you have an idea of the upholstery used? I can't tell from the image and don't find any description for it.

I'd like the next purchase to have a long lifespan so I'm hoping for opinions on Bernhardt's quality vs H&M; comfort & durablity (how well either is made). Below is a photo of each sofa I'm considering.

Thanks for any input! - Ed

Default Re: Bernhardt vs Hancock & Moore

There's quite a jump from Bernhardt to Hancock and Moore, you can even see it in the two photos (the tightness and crispness in the upholstery) and that's before we even get into frame and component construction. They are not really competitive products as they serve a different consumer. The only thing I like about Bernhardt is they have cool 18-wheeler delivery trucks....great graphics on 'em.

I can't quote a price on that exactly without researching the cover, but in general you'll pay about twice that for the H&M, and also get twice the price in longevity and construction. With an H&M, you'll likely wear the fabric out long before the frame is done and it can be recovered many times. With a Bernhardt, the fabric and frame are usually done at the same time (10-12 years), though you're likely to notice sag and break-down before that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BostonEd Guest

Thanks for the reply. Funny, I hadn't even noticed the fabric on the Bernhardt sofa as opposed to H&M. Thanks for pointing it out because it is something I'll make note of when I find another sofa I like. I contacted a local furniture store that carries H&M however they advised that they would have to order the Robinson sofa. She didn't think it would be wise without actually haven't sat in it first. She suggested I check out other H&M models that they now have in the stock. Aside from H&M is there another manufacturer comparable in quality that you might suggest?

Look at Taylor King if you would like high quality upholstery.

I find that amusing that any one working in a store would advise someone against ordering a piece without sitting in it first. Obviously she was an amateur. You can go to hundreds of stores and not be able to try them all out, there are simply too many models. I have (25) pieces of Hancock and Moore on my sales floor....and that's a lot, most stores have four or five. But even twenty-five is nothing as they make 1,400 frames! So there is no way you will ever see everything in the flesh . Even at Market Showroom they will have no more than 225 frames on display, less than 20 % of what they offer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.