Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Comfort

puhmuckel Guest

Wink Question about Comfort

In terms of pure comfort, how would you compare the H&M Charter Sofa and the Chancellor to the Austin High Back ? I am fairly tall with long legs. I sat in the metro sofa today and found it to be fairly uncomfortable, sat in the city sofa and would rate it maybe a 6.5 because the armrests are just too shallow to lean against.

With the Austin High Back a 10
    Donovan = 8
    Metro = 4
    City = 7
    Settlement = 5

I have not been able to physically find the models I am interested in, so your input is greatly appreciated.

Comfort is so subjective that I hesitate to recommend one model over another, but I can tell you that the majority of customers think the Austin High Back Sofa is hands-down the comfort champ of any sofa from any maker. And that is exactly what it was designed to be.

As a general rule of thumb, if you have a good spring deck and good angles on the deck and seatback, then taller is usually more supportive (more comfortable) and bustle backs like the Austin are more comfy then single cushion backs.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

McCall Guest

Now see I find them to be very uncomfortable and the single cushion back if it is the right type of cushion, to be the most comfortable but then I am a 5'4" woman too.
    As you say it is SO a personal matter that it is hard to give advice on comfort.

dustinh Guest

I thought about starting a new thread...but this one touches on my question.

To those that have sat lots of chairs and sofas, would you say that the seat angles and dimensions are more important to comfort than whether its a bustle back or not?

My fiancee puts more importance on look than comfort and does not like the bustle backs.

Duane, which non-bustle tilt back chair have your customers been most pleased with? Is the austin high back tilt only availabe with a bustle?

It's really so hard to say. I see it every day in my store when folks come in and try out pieces.

For example, there's a Leathercraft # 2442 chair in my store that I absolutely hate and can't wait until its gone. Its the most uncomfortable new chair I have ever sat in - and to me it's as if they left the springs out of the back. Last week a lady sat down in it and said to me "Oooh! This chair is perfect, is sooooooo comfortable!". Putting on my poker face, I said "Come try out this Hancock and Moore Miller Recliner" (one of my all-time favorites). So she did - then shook her head 'no' and said "Not for me, I like that other one much better."

So there you go!

I guess its just so many body types in the end (both in size and weight), and what works well for one is miserable for another. Add in a dose of personal preference and its just so hard to advise on comfort that its something I shy away from when I can.

In tilt back chairs, this one sells well in the H&M line. Not quite as good as the Austin High Back, but its probably the # 2 seller in my experience:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1684
    Duane Collie

Sarah Guest

I like to have lumbar support. For me, that can come in a couple of forms. Bustle-backs offer lumbar support but straight backs with accent lumbar pillows (added later) can offer great support too while adding a decorative touch.

My husband does not like to have lumbar support in any form - he finds bustle backs & extra pillows "annoying." Instead, he prefers regular, 1-cushion "straight" backs. Since our definition of what we find comfortable is so different, the best answer for us is removable decorative lumbar pillows. The removable pillows also help with our height difference & furniture depths.

Good luck in your search!

-Sarah

dustinh Guest

thanks for the input.

we both like the way the bradley looks. Is it available w/o the rollers?

I have a Bradley in my store (not sure if you are near Wash DC or not) to try out.

If you don't like the English Caster wheels, then look at the leg on the 4113 Bradley. That should be able to swap in, probably at no charge (I'd have to call to be sure).
    Duane Collie

Gus Guest

Greetings,
    We continue to look for a sofa with a depth of 39-40" or less. The City Sofa has the looks, but I keep reading that it isn't really a good choice for lounging. THere are other sofas that I like the look of, except the legs. I do not want casters. Can legs be changed out pretty easily, or are they built specifically for the height/style of each sofa?

Laxplaya7974 Guest

I just purchased the City Sofa and three different housesolds in my family have the City Sofa. In regards to lounging, I think you should go try it out. In my opinion, it is the most comfortable couch that I have ever sat on (I have tried other Hancock and Moore couches also and I am 6'0" and 135 pounds). I think that it is subjective on if it will be comfortable for lounging for you. I would recommend you sit on the style before you purchase.