Thread: Hancock and Moore and kids and dog

kperregaux Guest

Default Hancock and Moore and kids and dog

Hi Duane: I have a 10 yo black lab that does not stay off the sofa and 3 teenage daughters. I am replacing most of my furniture and trying to decide whether timing is right to buy high end sofas. Will H&M hold up to dog, daughters and large husband. What grade leather should I be purchasing? Are there freight saving if i purchase at one time? Thanks. Kathy

Hi Kathy,

A leather H&M piece will hold up tremendously. Choose any leather that has a Serviceability index of 2 (this will be Class 1, 2, and a few 3 leathers). It will take all you can throw at it in a busy household, and be 'wipe and go' for cleanup. The frame and springs will take the punishment and I'm thinking at about the 10-year mark you might need new seat cushion inserts, so keep your original receipt (and keep the production tag firmly attached to the bottom of the sofa). H&M will send out free replacement cushion inserts to the original owner and that's worth about $ 450 if you had to buy them. The biggest issue is trying to remember your model number ten years later!

Yes, if shipping try to get all your pieces at the same time to save on freight dollars. The first piece is the one that costs, the second or third or fourth ride along for far less in shipping dollars.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kperregaux Guest

Default pricing on Evening

Hi Duane: Thanks for all your valuable posts. It has been quite an education. I am looking for alot of furniture on a limited budget and am going to start with 2 H&M sofas for my family room. My husband, 3 teens and black Lab are hard on furniture.

I have pored over the H@M website and love the Evening sofa. I know it is not currently in the T&C program and am wondering if you think it might be in Jan or if I should wait for Feb. sales. I have not sat in the sofa but am relatively comfortable ordering online, sight unseen. I also like Kodiak which is part of the program. I sat on Kodiak at Cabot House and it seemed a little stiff, though I do like a firm sofa and know it will soften up.

I know your advice is to buy what you love but budget (though undetermined) is a factor as my house burned by lightning stike in July and we are rebulding and need to replace all our furniture and possessions.

Could you tell me the price range for Evening vs. Kodiak (grade II or III leathers) and the shipping costs for 2 sofas to Upton, MA 01568?

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by kperregaux View Post

I have pored over the H@M website and love the Evening sofa. I know it is not currently in the T&C program and am wondering if you think it might be in Jan or if I should wait for Feb. sales.

The Town and Country program is going to have a major revision January 1, and the big news on it is that they are folding the "Signature" Upholstery (fabric) promotion into it. In the past, T&C was only Leather and Signature was only fabric, and dealers had to 'buy-in' to each program (and many, including myself, did not). Now all will go under the one group. There may be some items in leather added, and there may be some price changes in that promo as well. I don't honestly know all the details.

I found out this week that there is NOT going to be general price increase at H&M at this time in January. So if that's the case and the Evening sofa does not become part of T&C, then there will be another 5% off to the dealers who pay their bills on time (I always pass that 5% to the customer, some stores may not).

I
    have not sat in the sofa but am relatively comfortable ordering online, sight unseen. I also like Kodiak which is part of the program. I sat on Kodiak at Cabot House and it seemed a little stiff, though I do like a firm sofa and know it will soften up.

Yes, they do break in! I have a number of customer who buy the Evening sofa and all have been happy with it to date.

Could you tell me the price range for Evening vs. Kodiak (grade II or III leathers) and the shipping costs for 2 sofas to Upton, MA 01568?

Sure: Here's the current price structure:

Evening # 1667:
    Grade II: $ 3,850
    Grade III: $ 4,235

Kodiak # 9503
    Town and Country Document Saddle Only (M/C): $ 2,526
    Town and Country ANY other Document leather : $ 2,925
    Grade II: $ 3,703
    Grade III: $ 4,067

As you can see, the deal is in the Document leathers, especially the SADDLE color. If you don't object to Chinese leather, this is where the serious money savings are.

Freight on a pair of sofas to MASS is quoting at $ 400 via Home Delivery Service using todays fuel price calculator.

Thanks for your help!
    You're welcome!
    Duane Collie

kperregaux Guest

Hi Duane: Few questions and opinions please....I have a very traditional home (albeit in a newer neighborhood) with a casual family room. Brazillian cherry floors on all first floor except heart pine in large family room. (if you're bored check out the house on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bDflIcUL5s )

I am getting nervous reading some threads that Kipling might be too shiny for me, especially in two large sofas for my family room, I really prefer a matte look? So I am thinking I might need to switch to Equestrian. I am going to trek back to furniture store today to look at Equestrian colors and Kipling again.

Can I get prices on the following?

Sundance 4717 Equestrian
    Sundance 4716 Equestrian
    Plantation Tufted Bench 043 Equestrian
    Campaign 069 Equestrian

and prices for Grade 2 in case I find Grade 3 out of reach.

also cost to ship the 2 sofas, 1 bench and 1 occasional chair (vestige or fowler T&C) to Upton MA 01568

Also is there a 5% price break if I wait until 2/1?

As always thank you. Kathy

kperregaux Guest

also the price of 079 Robinson ottoman in Grade II and III

Quote Originally Posted by kperregaux View Post
    Hi Duane: Few questions and opinions please....I have a very traditional home (albeit in a newer neighborhood) with a casual family room. Brazillian cherry floors on all first floor except heart pine in large family room. (if you're bored check out the house on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bDflIcUL5s )

Yikes! Is that your home burning in the fire? That looks pretty devastating, did you rebuild from the foundation up? I can imagine that was quite upsetting to say the least.

I am getting nervous reading some threads that Kipling might be too shiny for me, especially in two large sofas for my family room, I really prefer a matte look? So I am thinking I might need to switch to Equestrian.

Kipling has a waxy surface and I'd say its a semi-gloss overall, it definitely has some sheen to it. Equestrian is much flatter. Other leathers that have a matte finish to them are Caress (monochromatic), the very yummy Montana series (its a grade IV however $$$), Old English (scratches easily, but some like that look), Rancho, and Savannah.

Can I get prices on the following?

Sundance 4717 Equestrian
    Sundance 4716 Equestrian
    Plantation Tufted Bench 043 Equestrian
    Campaign 069 Equestrian

# 4717:

Grade 2: $ 4,508
    Grade 3: $ 4,893

# 4716 (Town and Country at $ 3,324 in Berkshire Harness (Gr 2))

Grade 2: $ 3,815
    Grade 3: $ 4,165

# 043

Grade 2: $ 819
    Grade 3: $ 861

# 069

Grade 2: $ 1,463
    Grade 3: $ 1,568

# 079

Grade 2: $ 1,323
    Grade 3: $ 1,372

also cost to ship the 2 sofas, 1 bench and 1 occasional chair (vestige or fowler T&C) to Upton MA 01568

Figure appx. $ 490 to ship the above (final amount based on total weight and items) iva Home Delivery Service. No Sales Tax.

Also is there a 5% price break if I wait until 2/1?

If H&M offers it I will pass it on. Historically they do, but I have not heard if it will be in the works this year (never applies to the T&C program, btw). I can ask last week of January

As always thank you. Kathy
    My pleasure! If you would like leather samples - ping me as a Private Message (PM) with your address and I'll have them sent....
    Duane Collie

mrcd Guest

Duane,
    Should we have a concern about Chinese leather with all the other concerning health issues being reported on Chinese products?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcd View Post
    Duane,
    Should we have a concern about Chinese leather with all the other concerning health issues being reported on Chinese products?
    From a health and safety aspect I think its impossible to say without extensive lab testing of the hides themselves.
    Duane Collie