Thread: Sofa Height/Depth - Standard for Comfort for Most People?

wintersummer Guest

Default Sofa Height/Depth - Standard for Comfort for Most People?

We're in market for a sofa (H&M) for living area. We are struggling a bit with the right height/depth. I'm short (5'3"), husband is a foot taller. I'm typically the one on the sofa, but rarely with feet on the floor. More often, I'm sitting but propped back on arm, watching TV. Husband almost never sits on the sofa.

This will be sofa for guests. Is there a height and depth that seems to be the most comfortable for most people? In other words, is there a standard for comfort?

Default Re: Sofa Height/Depth - Standard for Comfort for Most People?

It's a combination of:

Seat Height
    Seat Depth
    Back Height

And to a lesser degree, back pitch angle.

Averages? 20" High, 21" Deep, 36" High back.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

wintersummer Guest

Duane - Thanks so much!

Here's another somewhat related question. We've made our decision to purchase a H&M (and hopefully from you, since we live relatively close - N.C.). I'm now wanting to sit in as many sofas as possible. We like the more modern styling (Lennon, Lena, Metro). I'm not sure if you have any of these of your floor. We'll be in Santa Fe next week and there is a store with 6 H&M sofas. None are the style we want, but we're going to look anyhow. If I try out a different style sofa, but it has the same measurements as one of the styles I like (but can't try out), is it safe to assume the sofas will feel the same (or close, because I realize there's variation in everything).

I was very impressed with this store in Santa Fe (by phone). They told me they had several more in their warehouse and would be happy to take me to the warehouse to try them out. I told them that I would not be buying from them, that we were just in town on business. They said that made no difference at all, they would do anything to help the Hancock and Moore Company, because they liked the company so much.

I think one can 'reasonably' sit in several models of a product from a maker and get a sense of how the line sits in general. Of course, there are exceptions to that. When I was in the H&M Market Showroom last Sunday, I sat in nearly 300 frames between H&M and Jessica Charles. I test sit them all. Out of those 300, I did not like the sit on 2 pieces, which were 1 new sofa and 1 new recliner. That's a pretty decent ratio I think. Lets call it 150 to 1.

One of the reasons my preference is to sell H&M long distance to people who have not seen the frames is because of that ratio as well. I know that the chances are very good that if they are buying from only a photo, they'll be pleased with the pieces. Other lines I carry I would say the comfort ratio sight unseen is not nearly as high. Maybe 50 to 1 or even 30 to 1. So I don't have quite as high a confidence level sight unseen in those lines. The worst phone call I get is one that goes like this: "We just got our new furniture and don't think its comfortable at all, but bought it on your recommendation as a good brand. Now what?"

I try to avoid that scenario occurring as much as possible.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-09-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have to agree with Duane. While shopping for our H&M pieces, we sat in a lot of stuff including other brands and nothing sits like an H&M piece. They're just more comfortable all around. We ended up with the Rugby sofa 5261 in Kipling Java with wedge feet instead of the stock foot and it looks much more modern with the wedge feet. It's probably one of the most comfortable sofas I've ever sat on and we bought it without being able to sit on that model. One that I don't like so much is the smaller City sofa, it just feels small all around - short in the depth of the seat and the height of the back. I'm taller for a girl at 5'8", but it just wasn't one that I wanted to sit on for a long time (I know this because my parents have it at their lake house - found out after I started my H&M search that's what it was). They also have a Kodiak at their primary residence and it's super comfy, but not the style you're after. Check out things that might just need little modifications to look more modern, H&M was really reasonable to change out the feet on our pieces. And be sure that the scale of whatever you pick isn't too small or compact or taller guests might struggle to get comfy. You might love it at 5'3" though! Also watch the seat height on some of the smaller models as they're harder to get in and out of if they're really low. Hope that helps a little. I know it's hard when you can't see it and try it out first. Good luck!