Thread: H&M delivery damage

JMR Guest

Default H&M delivery damage

Duane,
    I would like your input on the following situation. I recently took delivery of a H&M Restoration sofa and chair purchased from a local source. I was anxious to have these new pieces after waiting approximately 8 weeks for them as this was a major purchase for me. I watched as the delivery men opened the back of the truce and became nervous when I saw the sofa loaded upright on one of its ends. This didn't seem like a very good way to transport such a nice piece of furniture. After unloading the furniture and getting it into my residence I inspected the end of the sofa and wasn't surprised to find three damaged spots in the leather. Two of the spots tore the leather. I also noticed that the dust cover (I think that is what it's called) on the bottom of the sofa had been ripped in a couple of places. The delivery men were in a hurry as they had a truckload of furniture to deliver that day so they noted the damage on the receipt and left. Upon further inspection I found numerous scrapes and marks on both pieces. Small areas of the topcaot color were scuffed off. There are also some small indentions that look like something poked the leather but didn't tear it. They might be insect bites but I don't think so. I call the stores customer service department and the furniture department manager to let them know the condition of the furniture. The manager didn't seem to concerned about the dust cover as it isn't seen and can be replaced. She set an appointment for a leather repairman to come out to inspect the furniture. Here's my question for you, Duane. I hate to have to attempt repairs on these expensive pieces before I've even used them. I am also concerned of the possibility of hidden damage to the sofa frame do to the way it was transported. Would you expect one of your customers to accept H&M in this condition? How would you handle this situation. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have noticed that the back of the sofa looks a little odd in that the two seams that form the three back cushions don't look the same. One seam is pushed out to the point where you can see the stitching. It looks like the end back cushion by this seam has more padding which is pushing out the seam. The leather on both sides of the seam is gathered alot more than the other seam. I'll take a picture to show you what I'm talking about. I can tell that H&M builds quality furniture when compared to other brands I considered. I look forward to hearing from you concerning this situation. Thanks for your time. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I watched as the delivery men opened the back of the truce and became nervous when I saw the sofa loaded upright on one of its ends. This didn't seem like a very good way to transport such a nice piece of furniture.

I won't carry pieces in that manner on my trucks for the very reason you mention. The reason they do it is to get more on the truck, and also make it easier to handle with a 'hand truck', but one has to be very careful as the leather can and does get damaged. As long as its in the box, no problem, but once out of the box I keep them flat to the floor and protected. If my guys have to, we come back halfway through the day to reload, but never stack, or place them on end once uncartoned. And one has to be very careful if hand-trucking the pieces. I have one specialized hand truck we use for upholstery, and its fully padded on the back and nose so that nothing metal ever touches the piece.

After unloading the furniture and getting it into my residence I inspected the end of the sofa and wasn't surprised to find three damaged spots in the leather. Two of the spots tore the leather.

Tears are a big problem. Some can be glued down if not all the way through, but if they are torn through the hide then a repair is going to be unacceptable on a new piece.

I also noticed that the dust cover (I think that is what it's called) on the bottom of the sofa had been ripped in a couple of places.

That's a relatively easy repair, but it shows carelessness. I haven't torn a dust cover in our store in over 15 years...last time we did it was in the early 90's.

The delivery men were in a hurry as they had a truckload of furniture to deliver that day so they noted the damage on the receipt and left.

Lack of planning on their part is not cause for an emergency on yours. Keep them on site until your are satisfied with the solution to the problems. REFUSE all pieces that can not (in your opinion) be easily repaired on site.

Upon further inspection I found numerous scrapes and marks on both pieces. Small areas of the topcoat color were scuffed off. There are also some small indention that look like something poked the leather but didn't tear it.

Topcoat and color scuffs are repairable, and indentations can usually be taken care of with a hair dryer set on high. Play it over the area let it heat up and it should go away.

Here's my question for you, Duane. I hate to have to attempt repairs on these expensive pieces before I've even used them. I am also concerned of the possibility of hidden damage to the sofa frame do to the way it was transported. Would you expect one of your customers to accept H&M in this condition?

I'm mostly concerned on the leather tearing. That may need a recover depending on severity. The other things are due to sloppy delivery methods, but at the end of the day its what YOU want. If that were me, I'd call up the store owner - not the manager - and ask them to do one of two things:

1) Order you a fresh piece. Delivery it to your driveway in the H&M carton and take it out of the container in front of you. They can have the one back you now how - repair it - and put it on their sales floor at a markdown.

2) Repair the sofa, and refund you some money for delivering damaged goods. $ 300 to $ 500 is not unreasonable.

I have noticed that the back of the sofa looks a little odd in that the two seams that form the three back cushions don't look the same. One seam is pushed out to the point where you can see the stitching. It looks like the end back cushion by this seam has more padding which is pushing out the seam. The leather on both sides of the seam is gathered a lot more than the other seam. I'll take a picture to show you what I'm talking about.

That's difficult to evaluate without photos. Does it look like something that occurred from the piece being on-end in the truck? A pressure point on the one end that moved the internal padding around? I've seen that happen before (and sofas really are not designed to bounce around in a truck with all their weight vertically on one end).

Thanks for your time. Jim
    Sounds like this store needs to change the way they do deliveries. I find that taking a few more minutes care in loading/unloading and paying delivery people a higher wage than elsewhere gets me better quality workers. Often I go out myself on deliveries, particularly if the piece is big and expensive. The delivery experience is as good as the guys on the truck, and the people handling the pieces once they are unpacked.

I think you are within your rights to make a pretty good squawk about the condition your sofa was left in. Get to the right people at the store, and tell them what will make you happy with the purchase, don't just accept what they offer to do for you. Let us know how it all works out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

Sofas are normally transported on end from the factory to the dealer. As long as they are properly packaged it isn't a problem. Of course a sofa should NEVER be put on end unless it properly protected. We have a nice supply of heavy blankets for just this reason.

A funny aside about dust covers.... AFAIK they serve no function except to hide the underside from view. And holes and tears can develop in the home. We once had a kitten that just loved to go through the hole in the dust cover and hide in the bottom of the sofa!

JMR Guest

Duane,

The store sent out their rep and he agreed there was alot of damage and the seam forming the back cushion was a bad seam. They are going to take the pieces back and I am going to have to start all over. I'm not comfortable reordering the Restoration sofa as I wasn't pleased with the look or comfort of its back so I'm looking at the Savant sofa and chair #1736 & 1734. Are you familiar with these pieces? The specs are similiar to the City sofa except the arms are straight. It looks like a comfortable piece and not much larger than the Restoration sofa aside from being deeper. (they are going in a condo living area so I've tried to narrow it to a smaller set but still with three cushions. The Restoration pieces were a nice size.) I'm also now looking at a different leather. I saw a piece in Kipling class II and liked it alot but still leary of something not protected. Are there any other Class II's you would recommend either protected or not. The Columbia leather was OK but not as nice as the Kipling. I see what you mean about looking more processed. I guess I'm hesitant about something not protected as this sofa will be used alot for lounging. (ballgames, etc) However, I do like natural looking materials so maybe I'm just worrying too much. Also, do you think there might be something new from H&M in January that might fit my needs? I'm not in a huge hurry so I was thinking about waiting until the new programs and frames you've mentioned are released. Also, what would your price be for the Savant pieces (1736,1734 &1733) in Kipling classII leather? Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    Duane,

The store sent out their rep and he agreed there was alot of damage and the seam forming the back cushion was a bad seam. They are going to take the pieces back and I am going to have to start all over.

Jim, are they going to refund your money and end the transaction entirely? Most the time, dealers will send them back to H&M for repair to new condition and then re-deliver to you. If you haven't clarified that with them, might be a good time to do so. H&M won't take the pieces back from your dealer so he is either going to move them to floor stock, or re-deliver then to you once they are fully reconditioned. Are they going to let you re-order a different frame?

I'm not comfortable reordering the Restoration sofa as I wasn't pleased with the look or comfort of its back so I'm looking at the Savant sofa and chair #1736 & 1734. Are you familiar with these pieces? The specs are similiar to the City sofa except the arms are straight. It looks like a comfortable piece and not much larger than the Restoration sofa aside from being deeper.

The Restoration Sofa has a great style to it, but the back is not very tall at 34" high, nor is it very deep. The Savant will be more comfortable for sitting upon and its a larger piece. Seat height and seat depth do factor in the comfort of a piece as a rule.

I saw a piece in Kipling class II and liked it alot but still leary of something not protected.

I have Kipling Whiskey on my own personal recliner that I use day in and day out. While I neither pamper it nor abuse it, and its held up beautifully to normal use. I'd encourage you not to remove it from your list unless you intend to have breakfast - lunch and dinner on the sofa.

Also, do you think there might be something new from H&M in January that might fit my needs? I'm not in a huge hurry so I was thinking about waiting until the new programs and frames you've mentioned are released.

There is so much new stuff coming out from H&M that it overwhelmed me. I think close to 100 new frames, and probably 30 new hides. I only had a few minutes with the photos and leathers, and can't recall specifics. Expect a price increase January 1, 2009 however.....that's when the new items roll out in Town and Country. How much they will increase I have no idea as the dealer materials are not yet ready.

Also, what would your price be for the Savant pieces (1736,1734 &1733) in Kipling classII leather? Thanks again for all your help and advice.

# 1736: $ 3,290
    # 1734: $ 1,834
    # 1733: $ 637

Jim

+ shipping (don't know where you live!)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.