Thread: New Bradington Young Purchase Questions.

wags1962 Guest

Default New Bradington Young Purchase Questions.

Hi and thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can relay to us.

My wife and I have been shopping for quite some time for a new Sofa/Loveseat/Recliner set in leather. Heavy use and pets have taken us to the higher grades of furniture and leather. Our Norwalks lasted 18 years and are done. H&M is a bit out of our price league but the B&Y, while stretching our budget, just squeeks in.

We've sit tested the Bradington Young 866 series with the spring down cusions. We both agreed the cusions were firm but it's what we like. I can't stand sitting on a couch for an extended time and sinking too far into the cusion. I didn't like the back as it was a bit low for me. My wife is much shorter and it didn't bother her. We also did the nail scratch test on some leather samples and found the grade 2 finished to be the most durable in our opinion so these couches will be ordered with one of the Bentley Place finished leathers.

My wife's next choice, since the 866 back was a bit low for me, was the 519. Again with spring down seating. The back is a couple of inches taller. One problem is we can't find one locally to try out, so here are my questions.

1) Can you tell me if you like the way the 519 sits, and are the seat cusions from style 866 spring down cusion similar in feel to the 519 spring down cusions?
    2) I'm 5'11 180 lbs, do you think I will be able to rest my head on the back cusions comfortably?
    3) Have you sit tested the 519's recliner and what do you think of it?
    4) Are there drawbacks to the spring down cusion vs their other styles?

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

wags1962 Guest

Default Re: New Bradington Young Purchase Questions.

My mistake the 519 has the premier down cusion. Can you compare this cusion to the spring down as well as answer the other questions?

Thanks again,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wags1962 View Post
    Hi and thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can relay to us.

My wife and I have been shopping for quite some time for a new Sofa/Loveseat/Recliner set in leather. Heavy use and pets have taken us to the higher grades of furniture and leather. Our Norwalks lasted 18 years and are done. H&M is a bit out of our price league but the B&Y, while stretching our budget, just squeeks in.

We've sit tested the Bradington Young 866 series with the spring down cusions. We both agreed the cusions were firm but it's what we like. I can't stand sitting on a couch for an extended time and sinking too far into the cusion. I didn't like the back as it was a bit low for me. My wife is much shorter and it didn't bother her. We also did the nail scratch test on some leather samples and found the grade 2 finished to be the most durable in our opinion so these couches will be ordered with one of the Bentley Place finished leathers.

My wife's next choice, since the 866 back was a bit low for me, was the 519. Again with spring down seating. The back is a couple of inches taller. One problem is we can't find one locally to try out, so here are my questions.

1) Can you tell me if you like the way the 519 sits, and are the seat cusions from style 866 spring down cusion similar in feel to the 519 spring down cusions?
    2) I'm 5'11 180 lbs, do you think I will be able to rest my head on the back cusions comfortably?
    3) Have you sit tested the 519's recliner and what do you think of it?
    4) Are there drawbacks to the spring down cusion vs their other styles?

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

I have the 866 series sofa in my store, and customers seem to like the way it sits. I've sold several off it in different color leathers. The standard core on that piece is the Spring Down, which is a 4.5" marshall unit coil system encases in foam, with fiber top and bottoms to complete the box. Then a layer of Ultra Down is added to the top in a downproof ticking and a 50/50 blend of down feathers and fibers blown into the top/sides of the cushion, Its designed to have comfort with resiliency. Premier Down is similar, but lacks the spring marshall unit, instead relying on two-stage foam for its support. Spring Down is the most costly of all the cores, the Premier Down is a mid-level cushion core.

You're gaining about 2" in overall INSIDE height from the seat on the 519. Now, the 519 has the Premier Down, so yes, it will sit somewhat different.

I do not like making specific comfort analysis on pieces for two reasons:

1) Everyone's body is a little different and what suits one person doesn't suit another;

2) If you buy it and don't like the comfort when it comes - the first person you will call will be me and the conversation will be "YOU SAID it was comfortable and we bought it on that basis. We don't like it very much so since you recommended it what are you going to do about it?" And I don't want those phone calls....

If comfort is critical to your buy decision, then the only way is to find one to try out for yourself!

There is no # 519 Recliner that I know of....

No real drawbacks to a spring Down cushion except they will look a bit more rumpled over time as the piece is used.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

wags1962 Guest

Thanks DR. I never would say "You Said". haha.

Chris