Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

Default Re: Any thoughts on counter height dining tables?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Most modern factory made pieces do use opaque finishes to cover up wood variances, and that's what I think you have on those pieces, but they don't try to color it completely, just 80% or so.
    The trend toward finishes that are so dark and thick that you can't see the wood, in my opinion, is driven in no small part by manufacturers using wood that a customer wouldn't actually want to see - and spinning it as fashion. (But I'm cynical. )

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's just a little 'fire' in the wood as we call it. Adds interest. Plain is so boring......
    Yea, the more I look at it the more I like it.

I tried to get one of the top the other night but wasn't having much luck with my lighting.

bubbaonline Guest

Yeah... this last picture is a good one.... very similar to the variation on ours (ours might be a little more varied, but stain is lighter, too). Ours is birch..

Our table is almost identical to yours, in style... .. we went with a transitional style rug... Nothing special.. machine made wool. $1100 for 8 X 11.. But, pretty big step up from the $250 Lowe's special we had..... and, much more flattering to the table.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    Yeah... this last picture is a good one.... very similar to the variation on ours (ours might be a little more varied, but stain is lighter, too). Ours is birch..

Our table is almost identical to yours, in style... .. we went with a transitional style rug... Nothing special.. machine made wool. $1100 for 8 X 11.. But, pretty big step up from the $250 Lowe's special we had..... and, much more flattering to the table.
    This is maple. Over all I am very pleased with it, and you can tell it is a pretty quality piece. I need to find something to put on it now, as we never use it.

I kind of wish I got the 2 extra chairs at the same time, but I will add them once things calm down a bit. I am basically refurnishing a whole house at once. I still need to buy wall decor/accessories, and some counter stools.

Id be interested to see the rug when you get a chance, as I am totally lost/clueless on them. What finish is your table? Satin?

bubbaonline Guest

Working on it..

It's traditional elements, with the effect of being pieced together.. like a quilt.. We just painted the room green, and it matches perfectly.... along with complementing the furniture and wood floors (I think).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000075.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	2592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000074.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	2593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000073.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	2594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000071.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	2595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000072.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	2596  

AZJoe Guest

Ahh that is really cool! Thanks for posting them. It is different for sure.

bubbaonline Guest

Finish on the table? Beats me... It's not very slick... I'd say the variation we have is more due to the different grain of birch vs. maple... These two tables could have been separated at birth... lol..

bubbaonline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Ahh that is really cool! Thanks for posting them. It is different for sure.
    If you had told me that I would pick that out... wouldn't have believed you.. I'm more of a traditional oriental style when it comes to rugs... They even had a mission-inspired rug that I liked... with a traditional border and field in the center... But, the colors were great on this one... and, once we laid it down, then put the table on it, it just really worked..

With the table and chairs being on the transitional side... and, shaker cabinets in the adjoining kitchen, it works pretty well.. It works more as a carpet for the breakfast room, than a focal point.. I wouldn't stick it in front of the couch!

We went to a specialty rug store.... they have synthetics starting at $700, up to heirloom rugs that are pushing six figures... The guy that helped us came recommended, and he was really great... Was willing to pay maybe twice what we did.... but, didn't have to... Plus, I'm already dropping food on it...

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    Finish on the table? Beats me... It's not very slick... I'd say the variation we have is more due to the different grain of birch vs. maple... These two tables could have been separated at birth... lol..
    Oh, I was just curious if you had selected a certain finish. I ended up opting for satin. There was a matte but it was so dull, and the gloss was too shiny.

Yea they are pretty similar legs/pedestal aside. Is yours one piece or leaf?

mfabian Guest

That really is a lovely setup.