Thread: Grandmothers Furniture

mwasserman Guest

Default Grandmothers Furniture

Hi all, just stumbled onto this forum while searching for answers on some newly acquired furniture. Recently my grandmother passed away and my mother really wanted me to take her bedroom set and buffet. The pieces aren't really my style but I believe they can definitely grow on me.

I am told they are all from the late 1930s to 1940s, no evidence to back this up. Many of the pieces have minor?? (not really sure what constitutes major or minor furniture damage) damage to the veneer and some damage to the top from many years of use.

My question, does anyone know anything about these pieces and do you think having them refinished is a worthwhile investment?

Any suggestions for less drastic fixes to make some the missing veneer along the bottom edges less noticeable?

Photos of pieces
    http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/s...s%20Furniture/

Default Re: Grandmothers Furniture

Those are nice forms on the pieces, good design and I think worth keeping.

Veneer repairs require a re-veneer, that's the only way you can fix it, patches really don't work. What I think you can probably do it have just the bases re-veneered and then have the edges of the cases touched-up. That might be the most viable and economical way to fix these up. You can get by with a slightly off-veneer on that bases color-wise, and most people that do that sort of work can match it up well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.