Thread: Need to Reduce the Footprint of My Guest Bed

Mafoo Guest

Default Need to Reduce the Footprint of My Guest Bed

EDIT: I wish I could edit the title.... should be "Need to reduce the footprint of my guest bed."

Hello all

I am moving from a large farm house in Minnesota, to an apartment in New Hampshire. We are running into some space issues. One thing that would help us a great deal, is a space saving solution to our second bed.

We have two queen size beds. One we sleep on, and one for guests. We are turning the second bedroom in this two bedroom apartment into an office, and location for guests to sleep.

The thing is, I will be working from home, and the amount of time guests will be with us is very small.

Being the bed is 7 feet tall if stood up on end, does anyone know of a nice piece of furniture that will hold a queen size bed upright against a wall? It could be fancy and something that opens up, or it could be as simple as a stand that just holds the bed.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need to Reduce the Footprint of My Guest Bed

What you are describing is known as a Murphy Bed. Very popular after WW2 as families and guests increased in smaller homes. There are plenty of makers that still do them. Here's just the first google hit on them, you can find many on the 'net.

http://www.bedderway.com/
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi...I agree with Duane that the Murphy bed could solve your problem. Have you considered a queen-size sofa bed? Or, if you don't want to invest in either, how about an inflatable bed? I use one when I visit my children and it is quite comfortable.

[QUOTE=Mafoo;10441
    The thing is, I will be working from home, and the amount of time guests will be with us is very small.
    [/QUOTE]

Monique Guest

I've found the inflatable beds pretty comfy and that's saying a lot, I'm 64. I don't mind them at all. No worry with "dust mites" either. The beds store in a bag.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    I've found the inflatable beds pretty comfy and that's saying a lot, I'm 64. I don't mind them at all. No worry with "dust mites" either. The beds store in a bag.
    M
    Ditto. 64+++ myself. My children do not have a dedicated guest bedroom but can make room for their inflatable queen bed. I prefer the elevated style. My knees have problems getting up from the lower ones.

Monique Guest

Haven't seen the elevated ones. The one I sleep on is just on top of carpet. I can get up but it is not pretty! Elevated would be better. I have to get a couple for our home here...will look for those. We only have one guest bedroom..the other is a study with no room for a full time bed. Thanks!

I know nothing about this company/distributor but its website does give one an idea of what is available on the market.

http://airbeds4less.com/raised/index.html

Mafoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    What you are describing is known as a Murphy Bed. Very popular after WW2 as families and guests increased in smaller homes. There are plenty of makers that still do them. Here's just the first google hit on them, you can find many on the 'net.

http://www.bedderway.com/
    Thanks for the link. I always thought Murphy Beds came with a special mattress of similar quality to a fold out couch. I was unaware that you could use an existing traditional mattress with one.

And as for other options for beds... yea, I would go that route, if we didn't already own an expensive mattress set. It seems a waste to get rid of it.

Thanks all who replied!