Thread: Choosing leather?

homebodyoasis Guest

Default Choosing leather?

Hello all,

I am close to pulling the trigger and purchasing the CascoBay Manchester sofa (similar to the RH Lancaster).

We had decided on the Brompton Cocoa leather option, however I'm having second thoughts after testing the sample with my finger nail and seeing how easily it scratches... It seems that the Brompton Cocoa is extremely popular and I like how different websites mention that it develops a vintage patina, but I'm concerned that future scratches could "ruin" it. We don't have pets and I don't wear my nails long, but should I go with a leather that doesn't scratch as easily?

Thanks in advance,

DK

Default Re: Choosing leather?

That's designed to do that in that particular hide, and what you are mostly scratching is the waxy top-coat, you're not down into the leather itself. We call those leathers 'pull-up's' in the leather business, and they will give a color-burst when pulled tightly and also show the daily marks of use. If you take your hand and make a fist, then rub it hard over that 'scratch' it will disappear from the heat and pressure of your hand - you are simply re-flowing the wax on top by doing that. So while it will show high/low color bursts with use and time, it will never be 'ruined' by a long shot, that's just the nature of a natural pull-up style hide. Use and enjoy.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.