Thread: Sales Reps

Default Sales Reps

One common denominator in this business is that sales reps for the lines you carry in the store ALWAYS want an order and if you don't give them one they get their feelings hurt, or in some cases they become downright surly. Its a recurring theme and I get weary of it.

Look around my store. Find me and empty spot to put those six sofas you want me to buy. I sure as heck can't make them fit in here, can you? Of course not...but you want me to buy them anyways, confident there will be room in the store when the time comes that they arrive. And when I say "no", I don't need anything, don't give me that hurt puppy-dog look because I'm not going to order excess inventory because you burned up five gallons of gas to get to my store. This was your job choice, and I can't help it of fuel is $ 4 a gallon.

I recently saw a flash of anger from one of my sales reps when I repeated for the fourth time that I was not buying any floor stock. Hey, if that makes you angry - then stay away from the store. I can market the product just fine without you, thank you very much.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Sales Reps

Sales Reps cause me to avoid them at all costs. I had a colleague who got a speech how if he didn't buy from the sales rep that the sales rep wouldn't be able to buy shoes for his kids.

I had one do the "My company just got bought out and the new company is sending me to Asia and wah wah unless I up my sales" I found this funny a bit until a few months later someone else called me with the same sales pitch.

Furniture sales reps are under a lot of pressure these days. The number of retail accounts in their territories have dropped dramatically over the past decade as huge numbers of small stores and a few large chains have gone out of business. It takes the same amount of time for a sales rep to call on a major account that can buy 50 or 100 pieces as it does for them to call on a small account that might buy only 1 or 2 pieces. With travel costs increasing it becomes difficult for some reps to justify the expense of visiting the smaller stores. Meanwhile many of the factories have quotas that the reps are expected to meet. As a result, unless a rep has an established connection with a major chain, he is forced to visit every potential small account in his territory that has a favorable credit rating. He can spend a lot of time and money generating a limited number of sales.

30 years ago it was not at all unusual for a salesperson representing a major brand to make $100,000 - $200,000 each year. Others representing multiple lines could do equally well. Many of those reps had been on the road selling furniture for 20 or more years earning a very nice living.

Very few sales reps earn six figure commissions these days while expenses continue to rise. The pressure from the factories to sell has increased while the potential customer base continues to shrink. Factories bring in new gung-ho young sales reps and replace them when the initial enthusiasm and energy begins to disappear. Sales reps with 10 or more years of experience are becoming harder and harder to find as it becomes more difficult for them to consistently support a family on the commissions they make.

Representing one or more furniture companies was never an easy way to make a living but for a long time the hard work could result in a very good income. Today, the job is even more difficult in many ways but the rewards are far less. Next time a rep gets too aggressive, have some sympathy. He may be trying to desperately hold on to a high pressure job that is too difficult for most people to succeed at.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

dannyk48 Guest

They also like to stretch the truth. I had one tell me the other day that a replacement table I needed was a container only purchase. Then he added I think I can get you one in our High Point showroom but it may need to be touched up and buffed. I called the distribution center and they informed me they had 39 of these tables in stock and could ship immediately. So I guess I didn't have to buy a container for one replacement table after all. What a joke.

When Sales Reps call on me usually the very first thing they hear is "You are more than welcome to buy, but I'm not buying any floor inventory, so I will tell you that in advance." When they still want to stop by, they hear the same thing when they come in the front door. I have to say, it doesn't slow them down very much! From now on, I'm going to simply tell them to email me any promotions and that way I don't waste my time or theirs. There is an art to helping a store develop and grow its business, and its more than just laying out some pictures on a desk and asking how many you want at $ 999? Most don't know how to do that (merchandising, setting up an internet campaign, Sales Promo, Advertising, etc.), they just want you to order stock inventory.

BTW, I know all about being a sales rep. Before I was in this business, I was a Key Account Representative for Gallo Winery in South Florida, and before that a buyer for a Supermarket Chain in Florida. Been on both sides of it!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I will say I'm in awe when I meet a sales rep who is master at their craft. In the end I may not buy from them because the product doesn't fit but it's amazing how good they are at their chosen profession.