Thread: Never Test Ride a new Bike

Default Never Test Ride a new Bike

Coming back from our motorcycle trip to Deals' Gap (aka 'The Dragon') two weeks ago, we passed by a motorcycle event at some fairgrounds outside Asheville, NC. We'd been on the bikes three hours and were ready for a break, so we stopped and went in. Lots of bikes, and lots of test rides from various makers. We went to the KTM tent, and signed up for their 20 minute demo test ride. They sent us out on 990 Adventures, which we had requested.

This was a mistake.

Of the three of us in our little group (all on BMW GS series bikes) both Scott and I said "We gotta have one of these", and were grinning ear to ear afterwards. The 990's are hooligan, like the world's most powerful dirt bike - on steroids. As soon as we got back, I called a buddy who had been wanting my GS for a long time. He bought it over the phone instantly, but I insisted he stop by and take it out for an hour or so because my was so heavily modified from stock I wanted to make sure he liked it. He did. I had hundreds of hours into modifying this BMW, but after 5 years of ownership, I was ready for something new. I'll miss Ole Yaller though, but I know its in good hands just 20 minutes south of me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpeg 
Views:	479 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	2584

And then it was off the KTM Dealer for me, and I brought this one home in place of it. Took it out for a nice long ride today in spite of the 96 degree heat mid-afternoon and ...wow....this is the first bike in a LONG time that is so powerful and so quick on the gas that it almost spooks me a little, and I've been racing and riding bikes for 42 years now. Just a crazy ride. Huge fun factor. My wife says it looks like something out of Star Trek...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dakar1.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	2585

Oh, and Scott is getting his tomorrow. Test rides rule.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Never Test Ride a new Bike

KTM's are awesome bikes. I have had a few dirtbikes, and their 505sx atv. CONGRATS Duane.

I really want your bikes brother the KTM 990 super moto.

What was done to your bmw ?

KTM 990 Super Moto is a beast, they had one at the dealer all set up for long distance runs. Gotta admit, I looked long and hard at that before bringing home the Adventure. I still have some fun getting off the blacktop and onto mountain fireroads and the like.

That 505sx ATV is outrageous. Almost too much power!

I had a lot of mods on the BMW. Here's the list of them (at least all I could recall):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=poster
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    KTM 990 Super Moto is a beast, they had one at the dealer all set up for long distance runs. Gotta admit, I looked long and hard at that before bringing home the Adventure. I still have some fun getting off the blacktop and onto mountain fireroads and the like.

That 505sx ATV is outrageous. Almost too much power!

I had a lot of mods on the BMW. Here's the list of them (at least all I could recall):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=poster
    The super moto is awesome, but knowing myself, and how I have ridden a lot of off road, it would be hard to separate myself from the dirt, when I feel like I am on a dirtbike. Wanting to hop off curbs, wheelie, etc could lead to troubles.

Ohlins shocks.....mmmmmm.

How did that remus header/exhaust sound? I always liked them on BMW's(cars).

Ok...So.. Being a fellow mod-a-holic I ask you.. What are you going to do first?

That's a great video...makes me want to go to San Fran and do that!

Planet Ohlins is magic. Nobody does shocks like Ohlins, but boy, are the dear to the wallet. Once you ride with them though, everything else is just pressurized tube of metal.

The Remus was OK and best part of it was it took about 15 lb off the bike and upped it about 5 HP. But the 1200cc boxer engine in the bikes always sounds like a tractor, no matter what pipe is on it. The Remus just made it a louder tractor. Now the FMF's on the KTM are crazy.....

Mods to the bike? I have more to do than my budget allows. Already on it are the FMF pipes and a Garmin 665 GPS with XM Satellite Radio, and I have Touratech Zega Pro panniers and top case on order. I'll probably fiddle with the mirrors (don't like the design, an off could crack the Master Cylinder housing), put in a Euro Headlight and a aux set of LED lamps, a front fender extension (stock looks cool but its a mud-slinger), and then most likely re-gear the bike by dropping 1 tooth on the front and adding 3 on the back. And that's just for starters...........
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's a great video...makes me want to go to San Fran and do that!

Planet Ohlins is magic. Nobody does shocks like Ohlins, but boy, are the dear to the wallet. Once you ride with them though, everything else is just pressurized tube of metal.

The Remus was OK and best part of it was it took about 15 lb off the bike and upped it about 5 HP. But the 1200cc boxer engine in the bikes always sounds like a tractor, no matter what pipe is on it. The Remus just made it a louder tractor. Now the FMF's on the KTM are crazy.....

Mods to the bike? I have more to do than my budget allows. Already on it are the FMF pipes and a Garmin 665 GPS with XM Satellite Radio, and I have Touratech Zega Pro panniers and top case on order. I'll probably fiddle with the mirrors (don't like the design, an off could crack the Master Cylinder housing), put in a Euro Headlight and a aux set of LED lamps, a front fender extension (stock looks cool but its a mud-slinger), and then most likely re-gear the bike by dropping 1 tooth on the front and adding 3 on the back. And that's just for starters...........
    Does it already have a stabilizer/damper?

FMF's are always loud..haha The Akrapovic's are REALLY nice on KTM's. Could always do a header, and power-comander as well.

Down 1, up 3 should put a smile on your face..lol