Thread: On the topic of BMW's..

AZJoe Guest

Default On the topic of BMW's..

Duane, what do you think of the new 1m coupe? I am really thinking about picking one of these up in a year or so, once they take that initial depreciation hit.

I am a big fan of factory turbo motors, so have always liked the 1 series, and almost bought one before my current car. This just makes it even sweeter for me.

I have heard a lot of talk about this being the rebirth of the e30 m3(one of the coolest cars ever made IMO)

Default Re: On the topic of BMW's..

That's a VERY cool car. If I didn't drive a Porsche, I'd have a 1 ///M.

The bad news is that's an instant cult car. BMW is making less than 1,000 of them and it will spank a 3 series, so you're not going to see those pop up for sale except among collectors and they'll be snatched up instantly, probably by BMWCCA members that know someone who wants one. They've already announced closing of the production line and most dealers only ever got one. So if that's on your lust list, best call around and get one while you can.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/one-and-...fter-2011.html
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's a VERY cool car. If I didn't drive a Porsche, I'd have a 1 ///M.

The bad news is that's an instant cult car. BMW is making less than 1,000 of them and it will spank a 3 series, so you're not going to see those pop up for sale except among collectors and they'll be snatched up instantly, probably by BMWCCA members that know someone who wants one. They've already announced closing of the production line and most dealers only ever got one. So if that's on your lust list, best call around and get one while you can.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/one-and-...fter-2011.html
    That is a concern for sure. But I think I will you will see them pop up from time to time. I am usually pretty patient when it comes to cars. I guess we will see. I would love to get one now, but the timing is not great.

Worst case I wold just get a 1 and do some mods. Not ideal, but better then nothing. There is just something about limited production, track inspired cars that I love. My current s2000 is one of 6-700 made, and one of 174 in Apex Blue, and I have yet to see another one in person(although I do know there are a few local). People usually have never even heard of that edition, or seen one.

I thought about adding a Cayman S to my list, but I think I would just long for a TT, and I can't budget one of those at this point in my life, unfortunately. However it is my dream car, and I will own one, one day!

BMW has been having issues with that twin turbo setup and also the high pressure fuel pumps which are big dollars out of warranty. I think you'll find (like the E30 M3's) that these 1 ///M's for the most part are going to be dogged by the original owners. Its just that kind of car. I used to have (4) BMW's in the garage just three years ago..now I have none! Fussy cars, I got tired of spending every Sunday working on them. Especially the cooling systems which were always problematic it seemed.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

BMW has been having issues with that twin turbo setup and also the high pressure fuel pumps which are big dollars out of warranty. I think you'll find (like the E30 M3's) that these 1 ///M's for the most part are going to be dogged by the original owners. Its just that kind of car. I used to have (4) BMW's in the garage just three years ago..now I have none! Fussy cars, I got tired of spending every Sunday working on them. Especially the cooling systems which were always problematic it seemed.
    Believe me, that is why I mostly stick to jap cars..lol I wont own a BMW out of warranty for that very reason, which eliminates the E46 m3 for me.

I guess I am at the point where I have owned every car I have wanted, that I can afford, and this is just the next logical step. I don't know what else to do at this point. I mean, I supposed I could just get a mini van and call it a day.

I have an issue where I run through cars like crazy, and now I have boxed myself out.

I like that Cayman R..haha

I hear ya. I am doing MUCH better on my car/bike habit and they are actually sticking around the garage longer than a year. Like you, I've owned all the ones I've wanted that I can afford (that elusive Ferrari will probably always be out of reach, though I have a neighbor that has a garage full of them).

Mini Van? Never. Never. Never. The anti-thesis of the sports car. <G> However, if you come up against a Honda Odyssey at the stoplight and aren't paying attention, they'll blow your doors off> Big engine in those...for a minivan.

You would like that Cayman R. Its sharp, and handles oh-so-good.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

I hear ya. I am doing MUCH better on my car/bike habit and they are actually sticking around the garage longer than a year. Like you, I've owned all the ones I've wanted that I can afford (that elusive Ferrari will probably always be out of reach, though I have a neighbor that has a garage full of them).

Mini Van? Never. Never. Never. The anti-thesis of the sports car. <G> However, if you come up against a Honda Odyssey at the stoplight and aren't paying attention, they'll blow your doors off> Big engine in those...for a minivan.

You would like that Cayman R. Its sharp, and handles oh-so-good.
    I really want a 911 turbo S, GT2 rs, or GT3rs.. I wouldn't get sad if an Aston DBS happened to find its way into my garage either. Alas it is nice to dream, and none of them will likely ever make it into my garage.

Honestly, when I die, I want to come back as Jeremy Clarkson.

What Ferrari would you be going after if you could?

Aston's a sexy, but reliability nightmares, especially the cooling systems.

P-Car GT's are hard core, and very cool. I'd like one of those myself.

HA! What Ferrari? ANY will do ....but that 458 Italia...the lines are just stunning. Ferrari actually announced this Spring that maintenance is included on new Ferraris, which shocked everyone in car world. That 30,000 mile service is $ 15,000 to $ 18,000 depending on the dealer, which is why you see so many for sale at 25,000 miles or less.
    Duane Collie

bubbaonline Guest

I'm a big fan of the 1-series, in general.. If I had found the right 128i last year (sport, stick, etc...), I might be driving one..

My son is 17.. last year, a relative gave him a car.. It's a very, very nice car ('92 Acura Legend with 41K miles), but he wants a stick so bad, he can taste it...
    So, now....we are on the lookout for an E30.. Hopefully, a 325iS.. (yeah, just like everyone else....).

E30's are a blast. Best place to find ones that aren't totally beat is on the BMW forums where the enthusiasts hang out. You'll pay more, but the cars are usually well-maintained and in an older BMW, that means a lot. Also look at the E36 3 series. In stock form they out-handle an E30 easily, and the M3's are very reasonable in the '95 - '98 model years.

I have a good friend that has a '96 328i sedan (silver) in Atlanta that he's owned since new. BMWCCA member and long time track and autox pal of mine, he's kept the car well maintained and wants to sell it, but hasn't worked very hard at advertising it. Its a stick, with some performance upgrades.
    Duane Collie