Thread: Leather furniture and Formeldehyde and Chromium

casey Guest

Default Leather furniture and Formeldehyde and Chromium

Can you provide any information on the use of the above in the tanning process of leather? If i go with the Town and Country line, Document Chestnut (made in China, I believe, and sent to the US as a kit), is this a concern? Is a safer alternative to order the analine (more expensive) or the more expensive leathers from Europe? Please advise.

Thank you for this forum, Duane.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Can you provide any information on the use of the above in the tanning process of leather? If i go with the Town and Country line, Document Chestnut (made in China, I believe, and sent to the US as a kit), is this a concern? Is a safer alternative to order the analine (more expensive) or the more expensive leathers from Europe? Please advise.

Thank you for this forum, Duane.
    Specifically I can't state an absolute.

However, China is one of the countries that does not adhere to international tanning standards, and tanning hides is chemically a nasty business. There can be active carcinogens on the surface of leather than is not tanned to standards. This is not to say every hide from China is like that, but following the lead/toy and melamine in food products how trustful does want to be of Chinese made products? That's a call that everyone has to make for themselves. If there are active carcinogens on the surface on the leather, they can be absorbed into the bloodstream via sweat glands.

Hancock and Moore has two hides that come from China, Document and Cavalier. Those make up a large portion of the Town and Country program as it currently stands. However when the new program is released in January I anticipate there will be many more options. I've been told by my H&M reps that they want to get totally away from the Chinese hides in the product line, so that may very well happen in the near term. Again, we will have to wait and see.

Personally, I would never buy an finished hide for myself. I may be a "leather snob", but finished leathers are too processed for my taste. I'd rather spend a little more and get a fine aniline - after all I expect 20 years easy from the piece. But yes, they are going to cost more and require a little more caution in keeping oily things away from them.

The Town and Country program is a great way to save quite a bit on a sofa, if you like the hide offered. There is no difference in construction quality, just the cover is all that is changed. Most mainstream sales are in the Town and Country collection, so its quite popular. At the end of the day it comes down to your personal budget for the piece and the leather you want to look at and sit upon for the next twenty years.

Glad to help!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

casey Guest

Armed with that information and the uncertainty of leathers coming from China, I may have to opt for the analine. I like the idea of a more finished leather (T and C line) only because this chair will be used solely by my husband who, on occasion, likes to enjoy his popcorn. It also sounds easier to maintain. This will be our first leather piece, so the T and C was fine for me. I also have a room with bright sunlight, though I have pleated shades i keep closed on sunny days until the sun sets over the house. I was ready to place the order, but not I might have to think about this.

So ordering an analine, I would not have this problem with the potential carcinogens???

Thanks, Duane, for your helpful advice.

I think that at the end of the day, the ones that really have to be concerned about carcinogens with respect to leather tanning are the workers who are exposed to the chemicals daily. I would imagine the risk to a consumer to be very low, and I would think not significant enough to dissuade a purchase. If it was determined there was actually any health risk involved, the manufacturers would drop that hide quicker than a hot potato.

I don't care for Chinese hides mainly because I don't like the way they look. Most are heavily processed and I prefer the look of aniline leather. If you want to explore some nicer H&M hides that still have the 'wipe and go' serviceability, look at Equestrian, Antelope and Auburn. They would all be good choices.

Glad to help, if you would like a price quote, please send me a Private Message and I'll get that to you.
    Duane Collie

casey Guest

So are the Equestrian, Antelope and Auburn considered Analine leathers ( minimal finishing). I want to stay away from anything mfrd in China). Thanks, Duane. I did find a nice deep brown called Weston Mocha. Is Weston Mocha in the above line?? Are these three in the Town and Country line? Thank you.

Correct, those are all full top grain, Aniline hides. They do have a 2 Serviceability however, which means a teflon topcoat and good resistance to spills and stains.

According to my H&M Rep, the only leathers in the line coming exclusively from China are Document and Cavalier.

Weston Mocha is a beautiful leather from Germany, and is a light-weight 'Pull-Up' hide and technically considered Unprotected with a 3 Serviceability. While it does have a teflon topcoat, it may absorb some oily and acidic liquids.

The entire Town and Country Price list and the leathers they are available in are on a Stickey at the top of this forum. Just save and open as a spreadsheet file to display.
    Duane Collie