Thread: Need Help! (I'm an idiot)

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Need Help! (I'm an idiot)

So I decided that my back porch window sills needed painting. No problem: sand, prime, ready for paint--except that I apparently misremembered the color of the paint I used before, and we threw out all the old paint cans months ago. Is it possible to take a chip of the old paint (Benjamin Moore) and have it color-matched? Or am I just SOL? Thanks.

AZJoe Guest

Default Re: Need Help! (I'm an idiot)

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    So I decided that my back porch window sills needed painting. No problem: sand, prime, ready for paint--except that I apparently misremembered the color of the paint I used before, and we threw out all the old paint cans months ago. Is it possible to take a chip of the old paint (Benjamin Moore) and have it color-matched? Or am I just SOL? Thanks.
    I think they can. They have this scanner thing that will match it. The only problem is, if it has faded, etc.

I bought a paint chip I had from BM to home depot because they were out of the base coat at ace, and they matched it for me.

mfabian Guest

I think they can match just about anything -

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks, you guys. I remembered--at the last minute--the color I used!

Yes, most places can match a paint chip, but it needs be about the size of a Quarter or slightly larger.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

paintlady Guest

I don't think there are any paint stores that can't color match nowadays. I recommend a stand alone paint store because when I worked for a big box store their color match equipment calibration is often neglected, and the last thing in the store to be repaired. The bigger your sample the better. Most paint stores and big box paint departments have Benjamin Moore's color formulations in their own computer databases, so their color match can be authenticated with an actual color name which may spur your memory. Whatever you do, buy the most expensive paint line you can justify spending your money on. In Benjamin Moore I recommend the Regal Select line to my customers. It is self-priming in most situations, but don't worry that you've already primed with another product. For windowsills I would imagine semigloss or pearl your best bet to withstand the sun. Good luck.

+1. I almost never go to the big box stores for paint, the lines around here at Lowes and Home Depot for service are terrible. The small stand-alone paint stores I can get in and out of in minutes. I've used Benjamin Moore Regal and can attest to its one-coat coverage, even over lousy builder grade sprayed white paint which is on very thin....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.