Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore -- Sanity Check

urspiders Guest

Default Hancock & Moore -- Sanity Check

Looking at a September leather sofa and chair with ottoman from H&M in Document Copper -- Including delivery to Baltimore, the costs are:

Sofa: $3,210
    Chair w/ ottoman: $2,680

Are these good numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by urspiders View Post
    Looking at a September leather sofa and chair with ottoman from H&M in Document Copper -- Including delivery to Baltimore, the costs are:

Sofa: $3,210
    Chair w/ ottoman: $2,680

Are these good numbers?
    Easy to beat those prices. I have the H&M Town and Country Program posted here on the web site, just look under the LEATHER section and at the top for the 'stickey' that says Town & Country. Read that thread and a few posts into it you will see a spreadsheet for the whole line that you can download.

You're being quoted $ 5,890 delivered, correct? Add up the prices on my spreadsheet and add in for local delivery (my truck) and you'll be at $ 4,455 delivered for same items, same leather. So that's $ 1,435 less.

Operators at The Keeping Room are standing by ....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Maureen Guest

I am looking at two H & M custom leather Abbott chairs $3200 each with a $300 delivery to California. I am not sure that's a great price. What's your thought? Maureen

urspiders Guest

Duane,

Thanks for the quick response and the reference to the excel spreadsheet. Very helpful. My wife and I will be calling.

I've read some of your comments/concerns about using Married Covers. Are you ok wiht H&M's use of Married Covers? Can you speak to why you are comfortable? You raised some real concerns in one of your other posts.

H&M is the ONLY company whose married covers I will order for floor stock.

I am terribly disappointed with the married cover pieces coming from Bradington-Young and will no longer floor their program in that category. The leather in the B-Y is inferior, the tailoring is lumpy and hard-edged, as if the covers don't fit exactly right. And there are leather sections used in their kits that should have been left on the cutting room floor. I beat on the very nice B-Y rep all the time about the married cover program and I'm sure she gets tired of hearing me squawk about it. B-Y's products that are 100% made in NC are decent, however - those I have no serious qualms those that are cut and sewn in Cherryville NC.

H&M's are good enough that even a keen eye can't discern it from the fully 100% USA-made in Hickory product. If you like Document Copper as the hide, then you should be good to go on it. I've yet to see a major flaw on a H&M Married cover item. At the price they offer the Married Cover program, its a pretty hot deal if you want a finished leather.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I am looking at two H & M custom leather Abbott chairs $3200 each with a $300 delivery to California. I am not sure that's a great price. What's your thought? Maureen
    I just ran the numbers that I would price these out at for you....the # 7509 Abbott Lounger in these grades of leather:

Class 1: $ 1,974 each
    Class 2: $ 2,331 each
    Class 3: $ 2,541 each
    Class 4: $ 3,101 each

Home Delivery Service comes in with a freight quote of $ 306 for a pair to California. Unless you are ordering in Grade 4 leather, then you can do better than your quote.
    Duane Collie

Maureen Guest

Duane thank you for your research into this. I believe I will wait and connect with you after the holidays to submit an order. How will I select the leather with you? I noticed H & M website does not allow me to view the selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Duane thank you for your research into this. I believe I will wait and connect with you after the holidays to submit an order. How will I select the leather with you? I noticed H & M website does not allow me to view the selections.
    Actually there is a pretty easy way to do it. You select a leather color you like from the website, tell me what model number its on, and that gives us a starting point. Then, tell me what your lifestyle is (kids on the chairs?, or adults who prefer a better leather?) and of course, budget. Then I have about a dozen leather swatches mailed to you based on what I think will work for you, then we refine that with a second batch if necessary. Wood finishes and nailhead trim are on the H&M web site, and samples of those can be sent out as well if requested.

Here's whats coming up for H&M.

A price increase effective Jan 1st, though I don't know how much. Things will be increasing, most likely from 3% to 7%, and it may be a pick and choose (some items go up, some not).

Then there will be the traditional winter sale period in February, where they allow the dealers an additional 5% off.

Abbott is a good chair......
    Duane Collie

urspiders Guest

Is H&M really planning on raising prices in this market?

Sure. Costs of materials have gone up significantly. Highly skilled labor never gets less expensive, either. Furniture requires a lot of energy to build and deliver. It's heavy, and a large portion of costs are transporting raw materials. Foam is largely petrochemical as well, and that industry took a hit again after the Galveston hurricane. Also, diesel fuel costs remain high and the furniture industry runs on diesel, not regular unleaded. Health care for workers and insurance never seems to decrease for employers, either.

Other companies have already sent me price increases. I am actually surprised that H&M is waiting until January.
    Duane Collie