Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

aluebcke Guest

Default Great Room Layout and Picture

Hi,
    I'm considering the Sundance 4717 and 4716. The larger would go where the sofa is (with no sofa table behind it). The smaller would go on the wall where the current loveseat is.

Will the Sundance work against a wall, with the curved back?

Also, do the sofas taper in? The inside depth on the H&M site is 24", but I've heard that the center of the sofa is not as deep.

Any help anyone can give me on the large window above the TV would be greatly appreciated....I need to cover it up, but it's 104" wide and 56" tall. It starts about 6' from the floor. I need something that will look nice and be operable from the floor.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Here was my original post....couldn't get the layout to load originally.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...mp-M-furniture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.png 
Views:	840 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	2664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great room 4_looking into kitchen.jpg 
Views:	1047 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	2665
    Last edited by aluebcke; 07-06-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add link to original post

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

I don't like double Sundances in your layout, I think even the smaller one is going to look jammed up on the short wall, and that piece is really at its best when floating in a room. So while its perfect for the long area backing to the kitchen, I'd come in with a second, non-matching piece for the shorter wall unless your preferences are to have them matching..in which case I'd forgo the Sundance series entirely You don't want to 'over-furniture' a room, and spatial proportion is key. With the Sundance on the short wall, that leaves you about 27" of free space on either side of the sofa arm, and that puts a side table right up against the doorway and side wall. Too tight. So I'd like to see a piece on the short wall in the 65" to 78" range tops.

What do you think about mixing something like this with the Sundance?

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1179

Or, if you want to bias more towards comfort, the loveseat size of the Journey piece:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...?productid=859

If you really want to cover the window above the TV, I'd get motorized blinds, something like this:

http://www.yourblinds.com/products/s...x/cmsh0501.asp

One thing I would also consider it getting rid of the TV stacked-on-the-bookcase look. It doesn't have good integration and flow into the room. Instead, get a wall unit that comes under the window and runs the length of the wall. Something like this (but not on as grand a scale):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...om-piece/page3

or

http://jltreharn.com/proddetail.php?prod=SBEC320
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-06-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Monique Guest

What a beautiful room you have to work with. The light from so many windows is wonderful. I like the idea of 2 inch or 3 inch (depending on the depth of your window sill) horizontal wood blinds in this room. You could use them on all of the windows even the ones in the dining area. That would tie the two rooms together. Choose a wood that matches your wood floors. It would help pull the floor coloring up the wall.

I've used wooden blinds everywhere we've lived since about 1980 and find them to be timeless and work well. You can get remotes for the higher blind....used the Hunter Douglas Dualits in a bathroom and a guest room once and did not like the look when the blinds were closed...too stark. An advantage of the wooden blinds is that you can tilt them to stop glare and still be able to see out. If high temperatures in your area are a problem, you could consider the faux wood blinds. The last time I looked I could not tell the difference between those and real wood. I'm told the faux blinds would not warp easily but on the other hand, I've never had a problem with the wood blinds.

I don't mind the TV on the book stand. If the height of the TV is right for you, visually it is balanced by the fireplace and the large window above. If you did not have the large window above, I would agree you would need a larger piece.

The furniture arrangement you already have for this room is great. Would love to see the Sundance sofa as the main sofa and the love seat Duane suggested would be absolutely perfect. The ottomans are great suggestions. If they had some with "lids" then you could have more storage for games, blankets, and such.

The Sundance will be a great look especially considering your kitchen cabinetry and the fact that you have a high ceiling, you can surely take the visual weight of the Sundance sofa.
    Last edited by Monique; 07-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Monique Guest

Just took another look at your photos and your room measurements. Would you have room for two full size sofas facing each other on either side of the fireplace? If that works, then the TV could move to the wall opposite the fireplace. We had that very same arrangement once in a room and it worked well. It probably would not leave room for any other chairs but would provide lots of seating. Just a thought...don't know measurements for the Sundance sofas...wondering if they could be pulled out from wall a little so the back could be appreciated. Two sofas would be a good look if they will work.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane and Monique for your suggestions!

Duane.....I agree with your suggestion on the TV cabinet....unfortunately, my husband would not budge on that decision. We actually had a TV cabinet there originally, but the new flat screen would not fit in it....my husband always hated the cabinet, so I let him have his way this time.

I'd have to think about doing the Sundance with something else. I'm not sure I like the idea of a sofa/loveseat that didn't match. What if I put the smaller Sundance into the room a bit....so where the loveseat currently is, but closer to the sofa/away from the wall. I'd leave enough space to walk between the two couches to get into the room. Currently, we have a 23"x27" side table next to the loveseat (by the opening to the front hall)....on the other side, we have the dog's crate so that it's hidden from view.

If I pick another sofa, which one do you suggest? Since we're tall, we want one that's pretty deep. Has to be at least 90" wide also. Any suggestions? I was considering the 4192 Settlement, but there's no loveseat and this sofa is huge so probably wouldn't work with two. 5261 Rugby and 5010 Highlands are on my list for their size, but look very masculine.

Monique....I also considered putting the sofas across from one another (and the TV on the wall opposite the fireplace), but I'm concerned that wouldn't be comfortable for watching TV. How did you like the arrangement for watching TV?

Thank you both for your suggestions on the window....I was thinking motorized, too. But, the window is too long to do one blind, so I'd have to split it into 3 sections on one header. I love the look of wood blinds. How are they to operate? I'm concerned they will be difficult on such a large window.

Thanks again!
    Amanda

aluebcke Guest

Hello again,
    I ran home at lunch (yes, I'm a bit OCD) to measure. The Sundances (one large and one small) will fit in the space, but it will be tight.

Large sundance is about 19" wider than the current sofa, and about 6" deeper. Should work fine with one side table.

Small sundance is about 16" wider than current loveseat. I tried pulling the loveseat into the room a bit, and it might work (I can then put the sofa table under the picture on the right wall).

One question for you Duane (in addition to the ones above)....would there be a custom charge to make the small sundance about 6" shorter (so 78" overall width vs the 84")? How much shorter can I get it without adding a charge?

I really love the Sundance, but don't want to overcrowd the room.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Monique Guest

I've never had a problem with working wooden blinds. You can get them with tilt wands on one side and cords on the other side or cords on both sides. I like them with cords on both sides. You can also get them with fabric tape which is a nice look. I've never gotten the fabric tape because I never seem to need anything else going on in my decor.

There is no problem with having three blinds on one rail. They would make the break between the windows, so you hardly even notice that there is a break in between the windows. Looks like you would only need the remote for the high window.

I've always used Bali Wooden blinds. I thought once to buy Graber instead and then the salesperson told me she had been to the plant and they are identical blinds except for the label-Graber/Bali SO I went with the less expensive Bali. I bought my last ones at Lowes during a sale. They came out and measured and returned to hang them.

Since you mentioned you are OCD (me too) with Swiffers now, it is easy to keep the blinds dusted too...so much easier.

We really enjoyed the layout with sofas on either side and then the TV and fireplace at either end of the sitting area. TV watching was never a problem. You might just try moving the sofa and love seat you have now and trying that for a few weeks to see how it works for you.

Your idea about getting the Sundance love seat and placing it so there is a walk-thru sounds great.

I do hope you can find a way to make the Sundance work because it sounds like you have your heart set on it.

I always look at spatial proportions when laying out a room and make a couple of assumptions - one of which is that there is an end table at each arm of the sofa. If you're willing to go with just one end table on the short wall, then that will give you option to use a pair of Sundance sofas in the room, and I'd put the end table in the corner, not on the passageway side. You might want to get some masking tape and simply lay it out on the floor,first. Cheap and easy to do.

It would be costly to shorten the sofa - anything with button tufting is because they have to completely re-figure the tufting pattern. H&M is closed until Monday for Summer vakay, but if I were to wager a guess - in the range of $ 1K to shorten one up. The most you can get without an upcharge is to try to cut back arm padding and take 1/2" off each one. Not hardly worth it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks, Monique for your input on the wood blinds. I was wondering about Bali, since they are currently on sale. I'm going to price some and see where they come out.

I'm going to run the layout with the two sofas across from each other by my husband and see what he thinks. He already thinks I'm overthinking this, so it should be fun.

Duane, any suggestions on sofas that feel deeper than their dimensions indicate? I love the Sundance (and haven't ruled them out yet), but I agree with you that it's a shame to put one against a wall (especially when I'm paying for the finished back).

I'm going to get some masking tape this weekend and give your suggestion a try....it's a great idea (especially since I can't picture anything in my head). Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for your help!
    Amanda

While you are picking up that masking tape, consider purchasing a roll of brown paper also (usually in the painting section at Lowes/Home Depot).

I find using paper to cover the floor area with the actual foot print of the furniture helps me visualize the size better than just using tape.