Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

All photos I have of anything are posted here....and I can't recall them all, sorry. Do a search for the term 'SADDLE' and see what you get, our search engine is pretty good.

H&M can 'tone' a burnished leather like Nile Croc to match most anything in the brown family, so color tones are easy for them on that. Shiny varies! We can always request a more matte finish on burnished leathers. Yes, Equestrian has some color variegation but its not severe, pretty mild.

$ 297 to put in Ultra Downs on a sofa, backs and seats. Its just a matter of plushness and preference. If you want the leather to have minimized puddling, don't order the Ultra Downs and stay with the standards.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Duane, can I get the down "extra full", or does that cause them to be like the standard cores? I think I read on the forum somewhere that I can request this. I'm thinking it would help with puddling to get them extra full.

Is the hand antiqued saddle typically a beige with brown overtones (no red or orange)? I was looking at the leather pictues on H&M, and the hand antiqued saddle actually looks very red/orange.

Are all the hand antiqued and burnished hides stiffer than others due to the glaze?

Still thinking about the Capri butternut.....I'm nervous that the Equestrian Truffle may be too uniform in color.

My leather requirements: warm brown, soft (good hand), supple, some color variation, natural looking (fat wrinkles, etc.), will tailor well on the Sundance or Settlement (haven't made that decision but leaning toward the Sundances). Will Equestrian meet these requirements?

Do you think I'll be happy with the Equestrian truffle, or will I wish I'd gotten the Capri?

Oh, and two questions about pillows: Can I get them fuller? I hate the flat/squashed leather look pillows, and would prefer "plump" pillows. Can I use fabric (my fabric) on the fronts and suede (Sonoma?) on the back? I've picked out some beautiful silk blend fabrics, and would like to use them if possible (but don't want them to constantly fall off the sofa).

You can get 'extra full' in any core, its simply an overfill and no charge. Its going to give you a higher crown on the cushions, though...be prepared for that.

My samples of Hand-Antiqued Saddle in the store show no orange/red at all. They're pure brown.

Yes, Burnished/Glazed hides are a little stiffer with the glaze, but I don't find that objectionable and they soften with use over the years. You have to like that 'well-used' but not abused look for hand-antiqued and burnished leather.

Best way I can explain the difference in hides....

Equestrian is the Ralph Lauren of leather. Rough n' tumble, with elegance. Its not fussy, and it doesn't look cheap. But you won't mistake if for Black Tie, either. If Equestrian is Ralph Lauren, then Capri is Prada. There is no mistaking the luxury nature of Capri, you know it in an instant. Soft, pampering, expensive-looking. But you better not play Rugby on it like you can with Equestrian.

HA! Asking me if you would prefer the Equestrian or Capri is kind of like asking me if I think you would like Pecan Pie or Apple? I can tell you what I like....but you may not want me to select your desert! I think either is suitable, but what's the look and atmosphere you want to create in the room? Ralph or Prada? Answer that and you will have your selection.

Yes, you can get pillows fuller, that's easy. Yes you can use COM, but silk? You know silk won't last long....
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Can I get extra full for the down wrap only, and not the core? The feathers should squish down, and I'd not expect them to crown...or am I assuming wrong? Do you know if the extra full down wrap is still softer than the standard core alone? I'd like extra comfort/softness, with the puddling minimized, if possible.

I love your analogy. I want the Prada look, but the ability to "play rugby on it" due to the kids and dog. I'll probably go with the Equestrian, but will agonize over it until tomorrow.

One question: Would you put Equestrian chesnut with the Equestrian truffle? I'm getting cold feet on the hand-antiqued saddle choice. When they hand-antique the piece, would they aim for a color that complements both the Equestrian Truffle and Nile Croc Burnished?

Can you please find out for me what leather is on the 1277 Parisian chair on the H&M site? I think it may be the hand-antiqued saddle.

The material is 65% silk and 35% rayon....I have a sample and the material is pretty strong. I made silk curtains, and would never do pillows in silk alone. The silk is very delicate and frayed like crazy.

What size pillows would you do with the Sundance (which I'm leaning towards)? Would I include the pillows on the order, or add them later? I have no idea what color at this point, and would need a few of the Sonoma samples to decide.
    Last edited by aluebcke; 11-27-2011 at 02:23 PM.

If you spec Extra Full on a Ultra Down Core, it won't be more down and feathers added, it will be in the ticking (enclosure). Expect crowning if you order extra full - that's all I can advise on that. If you want to minimize puddling, don't put any down in the cushions and stay with standards.

Yes, I think Eq Chestnut with the Truffle was one of my recommendations.

Its hard to say for sure on color matching. That's an art, and its difficult to direct artists telling them how to tone something. I wouldn't count on a custom blending to perfection but on the other hand - you might get it, too.

The hide on the !277 is probably Pecos Oak, if I have time tomorrow I'll check - but it will be a busy day on Monday.

Silk won't hold up to sunlight, and disintegrates. Even with a 35% Rayon content you'll be lucky to get 8 years out of the pillow fronts, meanwhile the backs in the suede would be looking good as new! Reconsider that, because the pillows come in leather with the Settlement at no charge (4 of them) and you'll pay more to put your own fabric on them and get less usefulness from them. You'd be better off to just get fabric pillows custom-made locally - those leather pillows are costly.

Pillow size on the Sundance? 18" works best, I think.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane. No need to check on 1277...even if it is the hand-antiqued saddle, chances are my chair wouldn't look exactly like that anyway.

I'm leaning toward the Sundances....I know they'll be expensive, but I might as well get exactly what I want.

I was thinking the Oiled Mahogany for the wood and R/S nails. We picked those out a while back, when we were considering the Garfield Chesnut. Do you think they'll go with the Equestrian Truffle?

Do we add the pillows to the order, and select color later? I'm thinking two leather pillows per sofa.....does that sound about right? (I plan to add a few fabic pillows too...I agree with your suggestion and will keep the leather/fabric separate).

I'll need a few samples (all sonoma for the back of the pillows): brandy, chestnut, chocolate, espresso, hazelnut, tobacco. I'm thinking memo samples should be fine. No rush....if you can order them on Tuesday, that would be great. Any advice on color for the front/back of the pillows (assuming Equestrian Truffle for the sofas)? Do you suggest contrasting leather welt trim?

Here's one of the fabrics I've picked out for pillows:

http://www.amazon.com/Fabricut-Maryk.../dp/B0038YMEFO

Red is my favorite color, but I prefer to do it as an accent only. I have a red wool rug in the room, with cream/gold silk curtains (held back with red tassels). I included the Sonoma Brandy and hazelnut to the sample list, but if you think these would clash with the Equestrian Truffle/hand-antiqued saddle/red wool rug, please let me know.

On the two author ottomans, I was thinking Nile Croc Burnished on the top with hand-antiqued saddle on the bottom. And the gimp on the bottom in Nile Croc. Do you think this will be a good combination? Or would you do the Equestrian Truffle on the bottom, with the Nile Croc gimp? Also would you add the gimp to the middle of the ottoman, where the two leathers meet (as shown on the 047 Carrington ottoman on H&M's site)? Finally, I see there is gimp on the bottom of the Author chair. Would you do the gimp on the Author swivel in nile croc burnished?

Sorry for all the last minute questions....but I think we're near the finish line.

Oiled Mahogany and R/S nail should work!

You can do pillows with the order, or wait on them, your choice. They are part of the Black Friday promo, however, so you can get a little savings on them now - or wait until February if you like for the next sale event. UPS charges apply if they come separate, if ordered with the sofas they're included in the sofa box.

I'd get the front color of the pillows in whatever you decide to do the chair in, or the ottoman tops.

Nile Croc/Hand Antiqued Saddle would be VERY sharp. Approved. Less so on the Equestrian on the lower. I can't recall which ottoman is the final choice, so I can't say on the mid-band gimp offhand. Yes, I like the gimp on the Author chair in Nile Croc, that would be very sharp with a spaced nail.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

I'd like to include the pillows with the order. I'm thinking two for each sofa. Is this enough? Can I pick colors now to get the pillows on the order, and then finalize/change the colors this week? I'll be doing a CFA on the Equestrian Truffle, so I think I'll have about a week or so to finalize the pillow leathers.

I've decided on the Hand-Antiqued Saddle on the Author Chair. Author ottomans (4690) in Nile Croc Burnished on top and Hand-Antiqued Saddle on the bottom. Gimp on the bottom in Nile Croc. Thoughts on the mid-band gimp?

What is the cost to do the Nile Croc Gimp on the ottomans? Is there an extra cost to put Nile Croc Burn gimp on the Author Swivel chair? It looks like it already has gimp (on H&M site) but not in Grade 5 leather.

Pillows fronts in either Hand-Antiqued Saddle or Nile Croc Burn. Which would you do?

Can I call you with my final decisions? Or PM? I prefer to at least call you with my credit card #.

Yes, I think (2) per sofa is enough. Yes, we can put in a color/style, and have lots of time to change it, as anything with a CFA will not begin production until you give us the go ahead to do so.

On the Author ottoman, I'd only do gimp on the base, and if you do the chair with gimp, you'll want to do the ottomans. You won't need it mid-ottoman as you'll get the color break and that will be enough.

Gimp charge on Ottomans : $ 113 before any BF discounts, on the chair its $ 150. Its not standard on the Author, sorry!

I'd do the Croc Brunished on the pillow fronts....great tie-in with the ottomans.

Yes, give a call when ready! 703-360-6399. Anytime.

Post # 149....I think that's a record.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Ha! A record....I guess I'm just an overachiever.

Will call you in the next hour.

Thanks for all your help!!!