Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Room Layout and Picture

Default Re: Great Room Layout and Picture

Garfield has a lot of color variance on all its colorways, though its more noticeable on the lighter ones like Fawn, but its throughout the whole series.

Yes, if he's 6' 7" then those three sofas will be shallow for him. Really and truly, the Settlement is the one for a man his size, though the Sundance may work (but not to the same comfort degree). Antelope Nugget is a very unique leather. Its from Germany, and is a lightly protected hide that is aniline with a topcoat. It won't have the heavy protection of something like Cavalier, but it retains the soft, silky feel of a high-end aniline while affording some spill and stain protection. I have a 1021 recliner in the store in that leather right now.

The Author chair is fabulous. The only downside to this piece is that it has a large physical presence. But if you have the room for it, none better.

PM sent on prices.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane. As usual, very helpful.

I took my husband to see the Sundance today (84" size) and he found it very comfortable (inside depth is 24"). We're definitely going with this one, in the 110". We've looked at other sofas, but none compare to the back and side of the Sundance....they're just beautiful (like a work of art and not just a sofa).

Yes, we loved the Author chair. My husband tried out probably 20 other chairs, and kept saying they were not like the Author. So, we'll be getting either one or two of those.

Now, we need your help on the ottoman choice (for in front of the sofa). Or anyone else who wants to give their input.

We're thinking either the 072 (37x37):

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1550

the 047 (39x56):

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1537

or the 069 (44x59):

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1547

Which do you think would be the right size with the 110" wide Sundance?

Whichever we choose, we want to do the two-tone leather (similar to the link above for the 047, but probably in grade 3).

Or concern is that the 072 is too small with that sofa, but the others may be too big.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Good choices! Nothing looks better floating in a room than the Sundance, and the Author chair is a great sit. Now, onto the ottomans....scratch the first one (072), its too square and works better used with a sectional. The Carrington is fantastic, but mind the size. Lay that one out on the floor - its large. Maybe too much so. And I think the 069 is just too big.

Some I would consider (Jessica Charles is an H&M company and can be covered in H&M leathers):

http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=679

http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=605

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1555

I think the ottoman needs to compliment the sofa and I'm concerned that some of the large ones would overwhelm it. Plus the Author chairs are large, and we want to preserve some air space in the room so we don't overfill it with furniture. Err on the side of too small on the ottoman rather than too large is my advice
    Duane Collie

bubbaonline Guest

Out of those last three, I like the last one..

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane. Those are some great suggestions. I agree with you that the 069 is just too big....we'll lay out the Carrington.

Current sofa is 38" x 91" with a coffee table that is 30"x54". The coffee table is the perfect size with that size sofa....perhaps a slight bit too large, but not too bad. I'd really like one that's at least 50" wide since the Sundance is 110" wide.

Of the choices, two of my favorites are:

Carrington (dog bone shape) ottoman 39x56

The Jessica Charles is 31"x40". The height is only 17", though. Is this too short? And, would it be possible to increase the width of this one to 50"? Or would it be cost prohibitive? Love this one as an alternative...thanks for pointing it out.

Here's one more option in Jessica Charles:
    http://www.jessicacharles.com/product.asp?productid=551

Dimensions are 34x55". Any thoughts on this one?

I know you've said H&M does the best tufting in the industry....does this apply to the Jessica Charles, too?

Thanks,
    Amanda

The Carrington is very unique. I've sold that four times, everyone that has bought it raves about it. But it is large, and it dominates - so make sure it has space.

Ottomans are usually a problem when too tall, not so much when short. When you put your feet up on an ottoman, its uncomfortable if its the same height as the sofa, so a drop is more relaxing on your legs.

I think that round ottoman from JC is going to lose a lot of square footage space in the ends. But that may be OK, up to you!

Yes, Jessica Charles tufting is excellent.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

I showed the ottomans to my husband last night, and he did not like the oval one either....he made the same comment you did (about the ends).

Can we lengthen the Jessica Charles 8830? It's 31x40 (which is definitely too small for us).....would like 31x50 or 31x60 (something in that range). Do you know if there would be a significant charge to do this? I really like this one. We'd also want to change the legs.....something without the casters.
    Can you please PM me a price on the Jessica Charles, but only if we can lengthen it? Class 3, please.

My husband also suggested putting two of the 072 ottomans (37"x37") next to each other. I'm not sure I like that idea (both for cost and the look). Have you had anyone do this? Does it look funny?

On the leather choices, would it be possible to get a larger sample from H&M? I have to return the dealer samples soon....and haven't decided on which leather yet. We've narrowed to the following: Garfield Mocha, Garfield Fawn (for the two-tone ottoman), Weston Mocha, Weston tobacco, Ryan Chesnut.....and I'd also need a sample of the Weston Cane Burnished (since I'm considering the Author chair under the T&C program).

I love the Ryan Chesnut (red is my favorite color)...but I don't want a sofa that looks orange or red. I'd love something in a warm brown that looks rich and has color variation.....a hint of red seems to give the leather a rich look. But I don't want it to be obviously red, and I don't want it to be "flat" looking. Also, in a grade 2, I'm worried it won't be as soft as I want.

The Garfield Mocha is beautiful....but it has a bit of shine that the Weston doesn't have. I love the Weston but am afraid it will look "flat", since it seems to have pretty uniform color. Also, I know the leathers can vary by 20%, but the two Weston mocha samples I have don't even look like the same color....one is almost black and the other looks exactly like Weston tobacco.

When we narrowed down from 15 to about 4 or 5, I thought this was going to be easy. Not so much.

Unfortunately, the only sofas I've seen made up are in the promotional leathers....not very helpful. I did see one in Quintessence....but we can't afford to go to grade 4, and I'd be afraid to get this one with two kids.

Sorry for the rambling....this is starting to stress me out a bit.

Thanks for your help, as usual.
    Amanda

Yes, JC can custom build to order but a request for a quote has to be submitted. Will probably add about 1/3 again to the price.

You will see a lot of dual ottomans at Market in the showrooms and they can look very good! Usually you keep the size small when doing so, however.

Yes , dealer sized samples are do-able on special request. Don't fret too much on leathers, as most all all very nice with a few exceptions. You can make yourself crazy seeking the perfect hide choice. 90 % of customers who agonize over leather choices come back to their original selection.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

I'm okay with the dual ottoman idea...but I think two 37" square ottomans are just too big. 25"x25" would be about right, but of course I cannot find that dimension in any of the ottomans offered by H&M or JC, and I don't want to consider other brands (want the H&M/JC tufting and would prefer the leather to match the sofa).

So, after looking at all the ottomans again, probably for the 4th or 5th time....I'm considering the following:

The H&M 036 Meridian ottoman (26.5"x50")....I want at least a 50" width:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1533

Any suggestions to "dress it up" a bit so that it will go with the Sundance sofa better?

Or the JC 8830 ottoman you recommended:

I LOVE this one but we'd want to customize the size and change the legs.

Can you use ottoman legs from H&M on the JC ottomans? There are more ottoman legs without casters under the H&M line than the JC line.

Can you please PM me a price on the H&M 036 and the JC 8830? In class 3 leather. For the 8830, just a base price for now....I'll add 1/3 to the cost and decide if it's in my price range before I ask you to get a custom quote.

Just to confirm, but I can do the 8830 in leather right? I think I read that all the pieces can be in fabric or leather....definitely want leather.

When customizing an ottoman, can I customize both the length and width or just the width?

I'm still considering the leather samples....will let you know if I need the larger samples from H&M. How many samples is acceptable? I think I'm down to about 5 or 6.

Thanks again....really appreciate your help. I'm hoping to order early August. Do you take the order over the phone? How does your process work?

Amanda

How about a pair of these ottomans, side by side....?

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2071

Meridian is too plain and too contemporary for a Sundance...skip that one.

Jessica Charles is made in a different location than H&M (High Point vs Hickory) so while we can use an H&M cover on JC and vice versa, that's about the extent of the interchangeability. Its also good to note that orders will not ship together when H&M is mixed in with a JC piece, so there is that as well.

You can customize as much as your budget will allow!

Orders can be done over the phone or fax or email Your choice. 20 % down to order is basically it, then balance when it leaves the factory and goes to the delivery company. You pay the delivery company direct for their services.
    Duane Collie