Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut furniture

tom@tckillian.com Guest

Default Walnut furniture

I'm looking to buy some walnut furniture for my little boy. He had his heart set on Gabon Ebony, but there is very little of that out there. Where is a good place in the Greater Los Angeles area to buy solid, traditional walnut furniture in either the Queen Anne or Chippendale styles. I'm so sick of cheap Chinese imports that I want to get some quality American furniture. No veneers, plywood, particle board, et cetera, just solid walnut bookcases, chest-of-drawers, desk, and a bed. He's fourteen years old and appreciates high quality.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Walnut furniture

I'd check out ebay. I've found a few really nice pieces, and went through UShip to arrange shipping.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=wal....c0.m270.l1313

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ant....c0.m270.l1313

You might be in for some serious sticker shock with those parameters. Are you prepared to pay about $ 10K for that ensemble?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Bryanatkinson Guest

Have you already check Amazon, Wallmart and Stacksandstacks website?
    There should be numerous of them.

And for solid walnut, the term 'high quality' is not always equal to solid wood.
    Some engineer wood with good construction might be sturdier and stronger than solid wood. Read the reviews.

Walmart? Not a chance.

Walnut is a scarce wood that requires a talent to finish properly. Did you know that in order to get a decent finish on walnut you have to bleach the wood first, before its stained? Then it requires a sealer fill (partial or full) depending on its to be semi-porous or closed pore finish. It's one of the more difficult woods to correctly finish.

And to make a statement that "some engineer wood with good construction might be sturdier and stronger than solid wood" shows you know nothing about furniture. Read the forum and LEARN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanatkinson View Post
    Have you already check Amazon, Wallmart and Stacksandstacks website?
    There should be numerous of them.

And for solid walnut, the term 'high quality' is not always equal to solid wood.
    Some engineer wood with good construction might be sturdier and stronger than solid wood. Read the reviews.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

tom@tckillian.com Guest

Thanks for the response. I have checked those sites, although until your post I had not heard of stacksandstacks.com. All those sites sell is junk from China. It is merely pressed board, MDF, or the such with a paper coating that supposedly looks like wood. Most sites that use the word "walnut" use it to mean a "walnut finish", which is NOT what I want. I'm looking for furniture made of the the wood walnut (Juglans nigra). I"ve made some pieces myself, but it is a task to find very wide boards as I don't like make furniture with many glue ups. In the 18th century America most case pieces were made with either a single board or two boards and I like to try to emulate that.

This set is... cough... on sale. Nineteenth century antique. I suspect you would need a custom sized mattress, but then if you can afford the set that's probably not a big deal.

Seriously, though, as organic_smallhome, your own parameters, and duane's comments on the scarcity of walnut suggest, I think you should be looking at antiques. You can often find antiques in good condition for considerably less than a comparable modern piece would cost to commission (or even what a not-so-comparable, modern production piece of modest quality will cost), but get the advantage of hard-to-find woods, board widths and thicknesses. For example.

organic_smallhome Guest

Harp Gallery is a reputable shop among antique collectors (I'm told). I love to window shop there.

moparjer Guest

Just a thought but I would look for some maple or mahogany bedroom sets on Craigslist. I made a black walnut coffee table in junior high shop class and it was a bear to lathe those legs. That is one hard wood. I did not stain it, just clear coated it. It has fantastic grain color variation from nearly white to near black. Is that what you want?

organic_smallhome Guest

Don't know where you live, but this looks like an excellent price on a refurbished walnut dresser ($399):

http://www.antiqueroadhouse.com/serv...tury%2C/Detail