Thread: The dilemma of quality leather furniture

Default The dilemma of quality leather furniture

We currently own a number of quality leather pieces including a Bradington Young sectional in the lower level family room and H&M Austin sofa, tilt back chair and ottoman (in Antelop Saddle) in the main family room. The sectional was purchased about 6 years ago and was the main seating for the family room in our former home. Unfortunately it did not fit well in our current home, hence it was religated to the basement and replaced with the H&M pieces. We would like to add to the Austin grouping with an additional recliner and a large ottoman to be used as a table with the sofa. Thus far we have been unsuccessful in matching the Antelop Saddle leather (it is just 4 years old at this point). Duane has tried to get a best match for us and it was not close enough. We have also considered using another complimentary leather for the recliner and possibly the ottoman.
    So our dilemma is whether to go with an eclectric approach or sell the like new H&M pieces at a discount and start from scratch with new pieces.

We spoke with Duane this weekend at his store, but thought maybe some of the forum members might also weigh in. There are obvious side issues of how to sell high quality used furniture and still recapture it's value, what pricing is reasonable for a grouping that would retail new today in a grade 3 leather for approx. $7000-$8000 with tax and delivery depending on location and retailer pricing, how to best deal with out of town buyers or is the market restricted to local buyers. So we welcome your input, comments, suggestions and experiences on this topic.

McCall Guest

Ok, since you ask for thoughts here are mine, I personally dislike the look of Matched furniture, it says cheap to me even in GOOD furniture. It also says I don't know enough about decorating to do anything but buy a set.
    Now I am not saying either is the case here, just that is the feeling it gives me.

You can do some great things with contrasting pieces and that is for sure the way I would go. and as you say it is certainly the less expensive option as well.

puhmuckel Guest

Default No matching here

I prefer to not to match the pieces when doing a room. I personally would use completely different colors in my room, but different shades of brown will come out look nice as well. I would be careful so it does not look like you tried to get a match and failed. Look at some design magazines and you will see groups with different colors and textures and it all works. Agree, keeping all the colors the same screams cheap to me as well.