Thread: Need Opinions: Great room layout. Sundance

erinate Guest

Default Need Opinions: Great room layout. Sundance

Building a house with a 19 feet by 22 feet Great room. Open floorplan with very little wall space. Fireplace on the center of the rear wall and the flat screen TV will be wall mounted in the recessed area of the right side wall. Small cabinet or table will be placed under the television to "Anchor"it.

Want to "float" the sofa's and chairs in the room.

Considering the Sundance sectional in the 4716 / 4718 (129" large, 105" loveseat ) combination with a sundance chair and a large ottoman.

The other arrangement we are considering is the Sundance sofa 4717 (110"), Sundance chair 4716 (45") and perhaps another chair.

Appreciate opinions on the layout. A PDF of the floorplan is below.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Monique Guest

Default Re: Need Opinions: Great room layout. Sundance

What a beautiful home.

I'm just brainstorming here...not thinking much about measurements.

You could form an L with the sofa and love seat. With one facing the fireplace and the other facing the TV. Then a chair maybe with an ottoman could sit to the right of the fireplace.

Another option: Place the sofa facing the fireplace and put two chairs on either side of the fireplace, catty cornered. You could put a smaller chair to the left of the sofa facing the TV. You might have room behind for a sofa table. I love it when I have room behind a sofa for a small round table and two small chairs on either side. You might use two extra arm chairs from the dining room...would help pull the two rooms together. Arm chairs would not cover up the back of the Sundance.

Another option: Place the sofa facing the TV. Place a comfortable chair to the right of the sofa and then place another chair with an ottoman to the right of the TV.

If the floors are hardwood, a nice large area rug would anchor the floating furniture.

I wasn't sure if the room is sunken or not. If so, the steps may take up some of the room. I didn't check to see if the measurements would work. Maybe these ideas will get you started.

erinate Guest

Thanks Monique. We are currently locating the electrical outlets in the floor. Attempting to keep the locations flexible enough that we can use either a sofa and 2 chairs or a sectional and one chair. While we have not decided exactly what we are doing, we are thinking about (as you suggested) the 110" sofa centered on the fireplace and 2 chairs on either side of the fireplace. We really like the Sundance line but don't have a good understand of the physical difference between the 45" wide chair (4715) and the 36" chair (4707). We did lay out the size of the chairs on the floor with newspaper .... and the 45" chair looks huge ... however the slope back of these pieces may be making the "footprint" seem larger that actual size.

Appreciate feedback from others that may have purchased these pieces.

Thanks again

erinate Guest

Thanks. Duane.... What do you think about the 110 inch sofa and the 45" versus the 36" Sundance chairs?

Not sure to do the large sofa and two chairs or a sectional and on chair.

Thanks again.

Sundance chairs and ottoman are pretty good-sized. Mince the space constraints in the room! I personally tend towards the smaller of the two, but again..depends on overall placement and room size.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.