Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with selecting a small desk

trent777 Guest

Default help with selecting a small desk

Hello: I was looking at a Stickley Chippendale Writing Desk in New York City. The price I was quoted was 1415.00 It is a 48inch wide desk with a keyboard tray and two side drawers. It is a good size for my bedroom. I also saw another desk From the Safavieh Store in NYC. I was told it was manufactured by Hooker, the same dimensions but with more drawers. The cost was 1,020.00. As I am not familiar with the Hooker Brand I would like some advice as to which maker would have the better construction/quality value.

Thank you.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: help with selecting a small desk

My understanding is that Hooker furniture is all made in China now, and so are some of the Stickley pieces. Have you tried Craigslist or ebay? You could get a very nice, solid wood, made in the USA vintage or antique desk for those prices.
    Last edited by organic_smallhome; 08-06-2011 at 07:49 PM.

trent777 Guest

Hello and thank you for your suggestion. I have browesed through ebay but am leary of selecting furniture that way. Besides, there was nothing offered in my size specifications. The deskd that i did see were all rather large executive style sizes. I was curious with regards to Stickley since i have seen a few recommendations for that maker on various websites.

organic_smallhome Guest

I've found some nice pieces (I think) via ebay and Craigslist, but you really do have to figure out who to do business with and who not. I did a little research on Stickley and, apparently, they still have a factory here in NY: http://www.stickley.com/OurStickleyS...me=FactoryTour

Are you looking for Mission style furniture, in particular? If you're willing and able to spend $1500 or so for a small desk, I know that Duane (the owner of the forum and The Keeping Room) carries really beautiful handmade furniture by J. L. Treharn. I don't know that he does Mission style, in particular. But you might want to inquire with Duane--via PM (private message)--what the price range would be for a desk that would suit your needs. Here's a thread that might interest you:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-of-Two-Chests

trent777 Guest

Organic smallhome: Thank you for all the information you provided me with. I was actually looking at the Stickley site today and was interested in their Chippendale Writing Desk. I prefer that to the Mission.

I will certainly ask Duane, as you suggested. I don't mind spending 1,500 if the quality in the worksmanship is there.

Certeinly I will be interested in seeing some of the beautiful handmade pieces by J.L. Trehan that you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Hooker is very mediocre. Un-impressive, made-in-China furniture but for $ 1K that's what you are going to get. Stickley is generally superior to Hooker. I'd have to look at detailed photos to see quality and build. Handmade from my store will be about $ 2,500 or so depending on configuration.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

You're welcome. Is this the piece to which you're referring? Where are you located? You will need to figure in shipping charges, as well. It might be worth your while to price out a custom desk, if only to be able to weigh the relative merits of quality v. price, etc.?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f_4538A_chipdesk_m_s_.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	2722  

trent777 Guest

Yes! that is the desk I had in mind. The dimensions are also good for the confines of my bedroom. I also recieved a reply from Duane and will see specifically what the handmade desk will be from his store(factoring the tax, cost of shiping, etc...) You have ben very helpful in my quest ( many thanks from Don Quixote)

organic_smallhome Guest

No problem. Let us know what you decide!

Here's a similar desk I have in the store. John Buchanan makes these for me one at a time, and we pretty much make them to any dimension for $ 2,499. They never go 'on sale' nor does anything we make that is handmade.
    This is a smaller one, and it has an incredible board set in it. Only 2 boards on the top in tiger maple, and I rarely see figure this good in a piece. Most we do will not be this highly figured....this one is a top 5%.

Name:  Desk2.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  145.3 KB
    Name:  Desk1.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  155.6 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desk3.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	2738  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.