Thread: Coffee Table/Sofa length ratio

Default Coffee Table/Sofa length ratio

I have an opportunity to pick up a smallish 2" thick black figured walnut slab (flitch) with a live edge for a great price. I am hoping to make this into a coffee table. The table will be +12" wide, 44" long and 18" high, small I know, but it is going into an apartment with limited space. The City sofa is 93" long with an inside width of 73".

Question: Will this coffee table be compatible with the overall length and interior seating width of the City sofa?

Suggestions from all are welcome. (BTW Duane, haven't you said that you have a good "eye" for spatial relationships?)

Default Re: Coffee Table/Sofa length ratio

Only 12" wide? That's too narrow, in fact if you go that width, you've made a bench. It will also have tendency to fall over. At 44" long, I'm going to want a 26" depth. Is there enough wood to book-match the boards to get to 24"?

Most flitches like that are for veneers, not solids. Not if you veneer it, you can easily get the size.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Only 12" wide? That's too narrow, in fact if you go that width, you've made a bench. It will also have tendency to fall over. At 44" long, I'm going to want a 26" depth. Is there enough wood to book-match the boards to get to 24"?

Most flitches like that are for veneers, not solids. Not if you veneer it, you can easily get the size.
    This is the actual slab. It is 2" thick and is 22" wide. I was going to have the slab split along the crotch seam and use the 10" width to make the table legs. Is the length all right?

I guess 12" is more bench than coffee table, however would it look really bad to use it as a coffee table since space is at a premium? Can anyone direct me to resources for metal (chrome, SS, wrought iron, etc.) coffee table legs/bases so I can use the full slab?

[/QUOTE]Attachment 2752

That's definitely a veneer board...but you can resaw it in two and have 1" thick pieces that will finish to 4/4 (7/8") after they go through the planer Then bookmatch them up and use some contrasting wood for butterflies in the joint and it would look pretty cool.

Make the base out of the contrast wood. For example, use the slab for the top as discussed, then come in with base such like a blonde cherry. Might be fun....not metal though...ick!
    Duane Collie

Great suggestions, Duane. I was planning keep the top at 2". I like the idea of having contrasting wood for the legs and butterflies. I've never made butterflies but I am anxious to make them.

I will reduce the width of the slab by 3"- 4" to 18", since 12" is evidently too narrow and 22" is definitely too wide. (If it doesn't work in the living room, I know she has room at the end of the bed.) Is 18" x 44" a good ratio for the table top? Is 44" too short for the City sofa?
    Last edited by juliepooch; 08-11-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I think that should be OK, was that the 9840 Series City?
    Duane Collie

It's the 9844 City Sofa @ 93" long. BTW, the ratio of sofa width to table length is 2.16 to 1; sofa's inside sitting length to table length is 1.7 to 1. Now, if it's used elsewhere as a bench, ratios don't matter.

This picture best depicts the slab/slab-leg/leg configuration I plan to use for the table. http://www.architonic.com/dcsht/free...ctions/4107637

I talked with the mill where I am buying the slab. It is reducing the slab width by ~4" to 18". I'll be making the front legs from this scrap piece. I am also getting a 10+" wide x 18" high slab for the back support. I'll have to see the slab to determine if I can use any butterfly spines. I do hope there's at least 1-3 places.

This will be a long term project and I'm really looking forward to it.

Your comments are welcome. Thanks.
    Last edited by juliepooch; 08-11-2011 at 08:26 PM.