My wife and I are planning a day trip to Hickory (we are in Charlotte) to look at some sofas and chairs. We want something simple, but well made that will last and hold up to abuse with small children. We were not considering leather until today, but my son wiped his chocolate covered mouth on our sofa after lunch and we started to change our tune a bit. We have fairly plain decorating tastes, and don't want or need anything extravagant.

I originally looked at Lane, Broyhill, and Basset sofas. Then I looked at some Flexsteel sofas and they seemed more well constructed. From what I've read, however, it seems that none of these lines have hardwood frames and hand tied springs. We want something in a transitional style, with attached back cushions - around 90 inches long. The Flexsteel Vail was right up our alley as far as styling.

What should I budget for furniture that is a grade above the Flexsteel furniture we looked at? Are there any particular outlets or stores in Hickory that anyone would recommend? Can I get a decent sofa for under $1200 in fabric or $1500 or leather, or do I need to spend more?

- Jason