Thread: The fun in life..

Default The fun in life..

Recently a friend of mine in Michigan was on vacation and his 11-year-old son's bike was stolen. He was crushed because he didn't lock it, and the Park Rangers said it was the only bike theft of the year. It wasn't a fancy bike (second hand used garage sale) but it was Tommy's. Eleven is a pretty tender age to lose your ride and learn firsthand there are bad people in the world.

So my friend John mentioned it and wanted to see if anyone had an old bike laying around they would sell for cheap near him. We have a small auto enthusiast group call 'The Garage' that has been around since the time of the internet and about eighty guys on the list. You never know what someone has in the basement. One of our members had one, but it was pretty high-tech and costly even used - too much bike for a kid as well. One of the carbon fiber jobs and so on.

Times are tough in Michigan and my friend's business has suffered. A new bike was out of the question at this time, he was just going to find some clunker with some rust on it and fix it up a little. Tommy had never had a new bike and it wasn't in the cards.

Well cripes.....we got to talking a little in our group and what's a new kid' bike cost?
    $ 300?
    $ 400?

Wasn't long before we all paypal'ed our buddy twenty bucks each. For a shiny new bike for Tommy, not something with flat tires out of someones garage sale. In less than 24 hours there was plenty to get a new bike, and some leftover as well. The extra is going to an organization that gets bikes for kids with no bikes at all, to its being used for good as well.

They went shopping, and there were a lot of tears of happiness, and this is the result. Look at that boy's face! (I have permission to post photos here).

I gotta say, this is the best twenty bucks I've spend in a long time. A very long time! he wrote the letter on his own, without prompting from his parents.

Spread a little happiness whenever you get the chance. Doesn't cost much....and the payback dividends are incredible.

Name:  TommyBike2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  TommyGarageThankYouLetter2.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  36.9 KB

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TommyGarageThankYouLetter.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	2781  
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-28-2011 at 09:18 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: The fun in life..

Duane, you're just the best. Really.