Thread: Trouble with PM????

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Trouble with PM????

Anybody else having trouble with sending a PM? I'm trying to PM Duane and kept getting told that the server "dropped the connection"--but I'm not having trouble elsewhere. Weird.

Default Re: Trouble with PM????

Did this problem resolve?

organic_smallhome Guest

No. It seems that I am simply unable to PM. Not a big deal, as I so rarely use it that it hardly matters.

Thanks for asking, Aaron.

I was able to send you a PM, just now. Try replying to it.

The 'dropped connection' could be a problem between Duane's server and yours - that is, somewhere between the point Duane's server transmits the page and when you receive it, the electronic equivalent in a sense to something getting 'lost in the mail' - although I would expect such a problem to resolve pretty quickly.

I noticed a problem where if I login on the main page at the top it never shows me "logged in" until I got to an actual forum view.

I have trouble logging in with some browsers (Notably Google Chrome). I normally use Firefox or Safari, and its very smooth. Have you tried different browsers? Also, sometimes you have to clear the cache to get a log-in to stay. Aaron probably knows more about this than I do.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have trouble logging in with some browsers (Notably Google Chrome). I normally use Firefox or Safari, and its very smooth. Have you tried different browsers? Also, sometimes you have to clear the cache to get a log-in to stay. Aaron probably knows more about this than I do.
    I have noticed this issue with both firefox and IE. Actually my Firefox browser is set to not keep any cache and IE is set to clear things out upon close. Aaron can feel free to PM me about this "issue" if he'd like and troubleshot it.
    Last edited by Briant73; 09-23-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added more info

I believe this is a configuration issue with the virtual server. I had a similar issue on my server (with search results) that resulted from a change in the way Firefox processed instructions on how long to cache pages. I suspect the host set up default caching that conserves bandwidth, but creates some issues with dynamic pages.

Yeah it's odd but soon as I pick an actual sub forum everything works normal.