Thread: Inherited Furniture - Need help

niceguy Guest

Default Inherited Furniture - Need help

Thanks for having me everyone. I have a few questions that I figure pros can only help me with.

My wife and I inherited some couches, tables, clocks from my grandparents. While they have sat in storage for years (my garage) and have been well protected, in our new home they are being used as cat beds for the last few months.

The style is not one we are fond with, but furthermore I would rather sell them and see them get put to good use and care before these 2 rodent cats ruin them.

I enclose some pictures.

What I need help with is the following... what are they? There is a tag and i did look up the number and address to these people but they seem to be gone or out of business. They appear hand carved but perhaps they arent? What would something like this even be worth?

I enclose some pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

They are in rather good shape outside of some cat hair here and there (no claw marks or anything like that). They really sit unused, it is a shame.

Thanks again!

Default Re: Inherited Furniture - Need help

Those are Empire Period replicas, probably made mid-1900's. The carvings are machine-made on a duplicator, but fairly intricate. See how the entry points on the chair crest rail are 'rounded' on the entry and exit points? That's from a plunge router making entry to the wood and you would not have that kind of carving if done by hand. This style is of interest to a period collector furnishing in the Empire period, but that's a fairly limited market. I would require a closer inspection or MUCH higher resolution photos from all angles to really determine construction build and quality.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

niceguy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Those are Empire Period replicas, probably made mid-1900's. The carvings are machine-made on a duplicator, but fairly intricate. See how the entry points on the chair crest rail are 'rounded' on the entry and exit points? That's from a plunge router making entry to the wood and you would not have that kind of carving if done by hand. This style is of interest to a period collector furnishing in the Empire period, but that's a fairly limited market. I would require a closer inspection or MUCH higher resolution photos from all angles to really determine construction build and quality.
    Thanks drcollie. I do see what you mean about the entry points and exit.

I have a 6mb SLR camera, i will try and grab a whole bunch of pictures this evening for you to take a look.

The wife isnt struck on them but at the same time doesnt want to just give them away to someone on kijiji. They are too nice for the abuse the cats and the kid will put on them.

Again, thanks and I will follow up.

niceguy Guest

Sorry for the delayed response /update, been a bit under the weather.

What I can tell you is that they are in really great condition. There is no sag or stretching of material. no real nicks, no tears. one cushion needs to be steam cleaned or something along those lines as it shows a mark. They are super dusty. For at least 4 years they have been stored, they are just out now as we are thinking of getting rid of them (and the tables and ridgeway gf clock).

Anyhow, some higher res pictures. You click the image, takes you to an image than can further expand to super full size.

Ideally, I just want to get an idea of what they are worth to sell. A wait it out price and a move it tomorrow type price.

In a way its a shame. They are perfectly good couches but with a young kid, 2 cats they dont really suit our house and or lifestyle.

Any help would be appreciated

I can't tell you valuations because I don't deal in that class of specialty furniture. Best way is to stick them on EBAY with no reserve and the market will tell you the value.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

niceguy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I can't tell you valuations because I don't deal in that class of specialty furniture. Best way is to stick them on EBAY with no reserve and the market will tell you the value.
    These may just be better suited for donation to an organization of some sorts.

Thanks for the feedback.

You could put them on craigslist at a price you "guess" is fair. Be sure to include good pictures. If you get no responses in 2 days, lower the price and repeat if necessary. Re-list with new wording each time, to stay at the top of the listings.

If no one comes to look, then find a place to donate. This is how I sold a LOT of inherited furniture recently. Things I thought wouldn't sell, did. Things I thought would sell (beautiful old Henredon pieces) ended up being donated. You just never can tell.

Be sure to thoroughly vacuum and dust them!
    Last edited by Dianne47; 09-30-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Re-read original post about the dust...