Thread: Bradington Young cushion question

njcaleb Guest

Default Bradington Young cushion question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022396.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	2842hello all. I'm looking for opinions on the 3 cushion options that Bradington young offers with their 223-96 Hanley 3 cushion sofa. I'm planning on getting the sofa covered in the 9511-84, Prestige Buckskin leather, a grade 3 leather.
    So far I've only been able to sit test a Bradington Young sofa with their premier down cushion, supposedly their top of the line cushion option. I've yet to be able to find samples of their other two cushion options to sit test but I'm not giving up yet!
    The sales person at that store indicated that the Hanley comes standard with the Premier down cushion, option. My question is this: has anyone had any issues with this cushion option as compared to the spring down cushion or the no frills foam cushion? I realize that cushion comfort is subjective but I was curious if anyone had any opinions on the various options. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Bradington Young cushion question

Bradington Young moved to Premier Down as standard for nearly all their stationary pieces two years ago. It's a good cushion. I'd prefer it over Spring Down and CERTAINLY would not downgrade it to a poly dac, unless you dislike the feel of the sofa with those cores installed. You would have to try a BY Recliner for a Poly Dac core, as that's about all that comes standard with them now.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

njcaleb Guest

Duane,
    Thanks for your quick response to my question and thanks for being such a great resource. This information is often pretty tough to find to those of us not involved in the business. Why is that btw?...Thanks again!

Our industry does little to educate the consumer, hence the reason for this forum.

The furniture industry is still largely a hand-made business, and family run. Even larger companies have brothers/sisters/cousins/uncles/aunts all working in them. They are not slick Fortune 500 Companies with executives that have Marketing Degrees from Columbia running the show. Whereas many consumer products - such as cars, or expensive watches - have the manufacturer reaching out to the end consumer with information, that really doesn't exist in the land of furniture to any great degree. How many of you have emailed a furniture manufacturer with a question and ever received a timely and informative reply? Or any reply at all? Probably not very many. That's because in the USA, the traditional arrangement is that my store, The Keeping Room, is the customer of the maker. You, as the end consumer, are The Keeping Room's customer. The lines are very well drawn and not usually crossed, which is why you may get a less than warm welcome if you call into a manufacturer and ask for information. They are told to direct you to the nearest dealer.

Now, the dealer is concerned with primarily one thing. Making sales. Granted, its the lifeblood of any store and without sales we perish and cease to exist (my store included). Many stores - MANY - don't care what they sell, as long as it sells. They have little or no enthusiasm for the product they sell as long as it generates cash. They don't take the time to learn about the product they represent and in turn, can't give you knowledgeable information when you ask questions. And where do they get their information? Off the same web site you read, or from their sales Rep (who may or may not know what they are talking about).

Myself, I like to go to the source. I go into these work operations and see and how they do it. I know the difference between a dowel joint and mortise and tenon. What a 5 -axis C&C machine looks like vs an overhead pin router. I don't have to ask them if they build the product right, I can see it with my own eyes. I stop and talk to the workers, and ask a lot of specific questions such as why the spring clips they use at H&M are plastic coated when I see them laying in the base of an 8-way hand-tied deck (answer: to prevent the springs from ever squeaking, as metal on metal rubs and makes noise, the plastic coating is an insulator). That's things you never read about on a web site, and the sales reps don't know...but you can see it when you take a slow walking tour of a production facility. I then pass that knowledge on to folks so they can make an informed decision prior to purchase. I work hard at my business (here it is 11 p.m.!) and hopefully I can EARN the sale by relaying accurate information with some integrity, and at a fair price.

I have invited many people in the trade to join this forum, but only Jeff at Simplicity Sofas is a regular contributor. The rest won't invest the time to contribute because it doesn't translate into a quick sale. That's the most disappointing aspect to me as by now I was hoping to have many in the industry answer questions with me...but doesn't appear that is going to happen!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.