Thread: Dog Nail Scratches

mark123 Guest

Default Dog Nail Scratches

After a year of successfully keeping my large dog (Weimaraner) off my new leather sofa with a special pet deterrent foil blanket that I place on when I leave, she decided to try it out last night. In doing so, she left several large scratches on one of the the attached pillows (see pic below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	couch_scratches.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	2866

I read a number of posts on this board prior to purchasing that you could simply rub out most scratches with your finger or palm of your hand. Unfortunately, that is not working for me. I have the Garfield Mocha leather which is a hand rubbed leather so was wondering if there are any different procedures/tricks for dealing with scratches on this type of leather. For example, should I use the hair dryer trick to heat it and then try to rub out? How about Leather Magic's scratch repair kit? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Default Re: Dog Nail Scratches

Hi Mark,

First make a fist and then using the heel of your hand, rug vigorously until you build up a lot of pressure and friction heat. That will soften the top wax coat on the Garfield and the wax should reflow to cover the scratches. Put as much friction into the rub as you can comfortably stand. If that's doesn't work, take some # 0000 steel wook and LIGHTLY go with the grain of the leather in a side to side motion, Mind the steel wool and don't press too hard, if you do you will change the sheen in that spot.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.