Thread: Used RH Leather Sofa

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Used RH Leather Sofa

I know next to nothing about leather, but I recently came across a used Restoration Hardware sofa that sold for $2000 and am just curious if any of you leather experts think this sofa was actually worth that price? To me, it looks to be in terrible condition. What am I missing here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uimg_6687.jpg 
Views:	2396 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	2867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uimg_6688.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	2868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uimg_6690.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	2869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uimg_6689.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	2870  

Default Re: Used RH Leather Sofa

Well, it looks like hell but that's the design of those seat cores. The leather is actually supposed to look like that! Would I give $ 2K for it? No way.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Every time I see a Restoration Hardware catalog I think, "That would look great... in a mausoleum." When it comes to their marketing message and mass appeal, I guess I'm just not "cool enough" to "get it".

hglaber Guest

You are not alone, Aaron. I've heard of them but was not familiar with their products until a couple of weeks ago a huge RH catalog was (mis)delivered to my house. Most did not appeal to me either. A lot of it is definitely kinda "in your face, look at me!!" style.

I did like the big, chrome Concorde model, although if I'm going to drop over $400 on a shiny metal object for the coffee table I'd probably go with something that shows movies and checks my email before a big, metal, mass-produced airplane statue. I like some of the wall maps too, but very pricey and the "skillfully aged for a vintage appearance" style kinda turns me off.

MJM_CA Guest

Problem with most of this Restoration Hardware stuff is that it is scaled for huge homes (the photography makes things look small until you look at the room setting photo).

And their new sofas look hideous:
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...yId=cat1580034
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...ryId=cat280018
    Those sofas and chairs look like glorified floor cushions. $11-15k for an upholstered sectional?!

I understand they've turned the company around but I'm not understanding their new design direction. It's supposed to be masculine, but I'm a guy and don't care for it.