Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furniture Frustration

Speculation here, but I'm staying with the idea of a reaction of Guardsman polish to your Hekman topcoat for it to cause the fogging issue. I've seen that happen before on pieces and Guardsman is pretty well known for 'ducking' any liability issues for their product. That's who you should be contacting I think, but it will be tilting at windmills since they rarely respond favorably to any customer complaint and repair request.

The horse is already out of the barn on this one I'm afraid, but in the future follow the manufacturers recommendations for products to be used on their pieces or use at your own risk. Anything that is non-silicone based is generally OK (that a very general 'generally'!). Its always a good idea to test a new polish on the backside of a piece and let it be for a few months. Most compatibility issues don't happen immediately but take time to break down the topcoat.

One longshot idea. Did anything hot land on that spot? A pizzabox, a casserole dish? Anything like that?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kurt0811 Guest

Unfortunately, no I can't blame it on heat. The affected surface is a vertical edge. I'm pretty sure Boyles recommended the Guardsman products, but I agree, it does seem as if everyone is doing some ducking at this point. I'm just frustrated at the problems with such an expensive (in my world, anyway) piece of furniture. I could understand if they said, Hey you bought it 5 years ago, too bad, but 13 months?

Goodgal Guest

Default Re: Furniture Frustration

this is an old thread BUT I wanted to comment on this since I have had a client with a similar problem. There was clouding on a large surface of a Lexington table. A furniture repair person said it could be a reaction to the polish as well. There are many coats of catalytic lacquer alot of the time on furniture with a gloss. It can cloud and not necessarily all over the piece but in places. The person was told to use straight ammonia soaked on paper towels. Some windex has alot of ammonia in it, some does not so read label! Lay them on top of the piece a few minutes then she gently dried. She claimed the cloudiness left. I am thinking the ammonia broke down the bond the polish had with the lacquer but I could be wrong. She actually had photos before then after. I was amazed that it worked!