Thread: Furniture placement help

Judyg951 Guest

Default Furniture placement help

I have a very awkward family room to refurnish. It is 19x15, but has a corner fireplace and 3 different entry points. I currently have a sofa and two chairs, but they are too large for the room and we have never really found an arrangement that works. The decorator we are working with now is recommending a sectional and a chair. I have attached a layout of the room but please ignore the chaise that is shown as it is not something we would use.

I welcome any and all suggestions. We are planning on leather for at least the sectional.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	family room008.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	2882  

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Furniture placement help

Do you happen to have any photos of the room from different angles? I can see the challenge here, but photos would help.

You aren't going to like to hear what I have to say, but here goes

A Sectional in the room like that is really a poor placement solution. Its too much furniture for the space, puts the fireplace behind and off to the side, in effect negating it, and also makes a barrier to the room. Additionally it blocks your outside egress French doors and furniture should never go in front of doors except as a last resort.

The solution for that room is to ditch the 10' long Entertainment Center, that's far too big and dominates the space forcing you into poor furniture locations. Would I be correct in assuming your husband is hard set against giving that up? What really needs to happen is to take the TV over to the short wall by the fireplace, and wall mount it. Even if you have a large 65" Flat Panel, there is plenty of room on that wall for it. Follow underneath it with a smallish 48" to 54" low entertainment console for the components. Once you do that, you place your sofa where the 10' Entertainment center now is located, them float the recliner in the middle of the room facing the TV and fireplace, preferably using a swivel model unit. That's it for furniture there, except for perhaps a small ottoman that can go in front of the sofa and double as a seating bench in front of the fireplace.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Unfortunately we cannot move the TV to the short wall due to lighting. There is too much light that comes in from the front door and windows that would make the tv not viewable in that placement. We have had a sofa on the long wall and a tv under the window, but that would not work with today's lcd sets

5. 11-07-2011