Thread: Loveseat for wheelchair user

native Guest

Question Loveseat for wheelchair user

I have read Duane's posts about not caring for reclining sofa/loveseats and I understand the reasons. However, for my wheelchair-using husband, having an ottoman at the foot of a stationary loveseat is not an option. It is in the way when getting the wheelchair close enough to the sofa to transfer, and then getting legs that don't work up onto an ottoman is difficult.
    With that explanation, we are looking for a dual-reclining loveseat. To add to the problem, my husband is 6'7" tall and so we need something with a very high back - at least a 20" differential between seat height and back height. We've looked at LaZBoy, which I distrust on the quality issues. We have looked at and sat in Flexsteel FastLane, and it was close to tall enough, but not quite. We have not been able to find a dealer for Palliser with any stock in our area (Boise, ID), so we haven't been able to try any of their line. I'd love to move up in quality, but the top end makers don't seem to like motion, and if they do make it, it's not near high-backed enough.
    Any thoughts?

Dr_jitsu Guest

Default Re: Loveseat for wheelchair user

May I ask what the purpose of this Loveseat? Will you mostly be watching movies?

I ask because I am very long waisted and my head extends beyond the top of my chair (both my H and M Austin and my Berkline HT chairs). However I sit in the partially reclined position which is best for watching movies. I also have a massive HT with 4 large surround/rear speakers behind my head, and if the seat were higher it would block audio.

That is why the flexsteel may be your best bet. On the Other hand, it is very possible that Duane could have something made for you. While not cheap, the prices I have gotten from him are lower than anything I have found in my local stores.

That's tough, because of his height. There are not many pieces made for a 6' 7" man. And to get it into a power loveseat recliner is nearly impossible as there is low demand for it. I think the only thing I know of would be the Monterey theater group from Hancock and Moore. You would buy two units, then two end arms to get a loveseat. It might be large enough....its pretty tall in the back:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1697

I'll tell you right up from that will be twice the cost of the Flexsteel unit, its a premium piece. But it will last and not deteriorate the way so many others do. I could also talk to Jimmy Moore about possibly extending the height another 2" to 3", which he would probably agree to on a power unit. They start to get out of balance if you go too tall on a custom mod....

Also, you will want to stay in a power unit. Any manual recliner system requires leg use to kick down the footrest. With power, its all in the little lever.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

native Guest

The purpose is multi-use. Watching movies and TV. Sipping coffee on weekend mornings and watching the world wake up. Taking naps. His current recliner is tall enough, but we would like to be able to sit together at times.

native Guest

Duane - When looking on line I have always skipped the "theater seating" sections because I was unaware you could have them configured into a loveseat style without the arm inbetween. I love the look of the Monterey you suggested, but would like it even more if the seat could be raised to 21 inches and the back to 43. Can you tell me if that is possible and what the price of such a unit might be?
    Thanks for your time.

native Guest

Duane - Another thought. My husband really doesn't care if the feet go up - he really wants the reclining back. I could put an ottoman on my side only. Can you think of a loveseat with really high back that tilts? Not sure if Austin series does a high=back tilt loveseat. Thanks for any info.

I really can't, sorry. I just got back this evening from the Furniture Market and there was nothing in that format from all the vendors and makers showrooms that I went into.

I did find a very nice brand new Bradington Young dual power recliner sofa however, that I thought sat fantastic. I'm just shy of 6' 0" and there were several inches more to be had above my head, but I'm not sure if 6' 7" would make the fit - and its not in a loveseat format, just sofa. But I tell ya, its the best sitting dual recliner sofa I've ever seen come out of Bradington Young. It looks similar to H&M's Austin series.
    Duane Collie

native Guest

To update everyone, I've been working with Duane offline. We settled on an H&M Monterey loveseat, but had H&M custom build the back 2 inches higher. Working with Duane and H&M is an incredibly easy and enjoyable process. We ordered in January and received our loveseat Friday - it is absolutely gorgeous. Leather is Pullman Brick Burnished. I'll post pictures as soon as I can, but I wanted to let Duane know it arrived and that we are happy with the purchase and the entire process.

I'm anxious to see the pictures! It's very rare when Jimmy Moore will agree to add 2" in height to a motion piece (normally it upsets the spring balance), so I'm curious how it turned out. I'm sorry to hear that Sun Delivery lost two of the support legs on the pieces in transit, and lets not wait on them to investigate that - as soon as I know which ones to get I'll order them and have them shipped to Idaho quickly. We want it to be perfect.
    Duane Collie

native Guest

Please excuse my lousy picture-taking ability, but it really is beautiful. (And this is my first try at uploading, so forgive if I mess it up!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	3730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	3731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	3732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1214-001.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	3733

Duane, you are the best. I sent you more pictures off line, but you can see where one of the missing feet is in these pictures - the white spot underneath is our temporary fix.

Jimmy Moore wasn't too sure about raising the back 2", but the "motion" gentleman (I've forgotten his name) didn't hesitate a moment. Everyone at H&M was very pleasant to talk to; thank you for suggesting I call them directly about the modification. With the added 2", the back is just tall enough to support my husband's head when he reclines. We are both impessed with the motor - it does not struggle at all to raise my husband's long, heavy legs.
    Last edited by native; 06-12-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added detail